Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Hooking up to a Cisco 2600 Lab

This is a discussion on Hooking up to a Cisco 2600 Lab within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi all I've got a lab which I want to give access to the internet. I've got a 2600 hooked ...

skyjawa is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hooking up to a Cisco 2600 Lab

Hi all

I've got a lab which I want to give access to the internet.

I've got a 2600 hooked up to my sky router and gaining an IP address (192.168.0.5) via DHCP (allocated from my sky router). This can ping 192.168.0.1 which is the sky router itself, the 90.x.x.x address the router has in isp land and all the way out to the internet. So jobs a good un!

Also I have this router connected up to a second router, running eigrp to publish available networks on each router. The second router can ping the 192.168.0.5 address on the port on the first 2600, but it can't ping 192.168.0.1 or anything out in internet land.

Its doing my head in - anyone got any ideas why? It sees the 192.168.0.0 network eigrp publishes via the link to the other router and can ping that network address on the other routers port but no further?!!?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Hooking up to a Cisco 2600 Lab

you'd be breaking T&C's by using Sky BB for non-domestic use...just so you're aware...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Its not for work, I'm unemployed! I'm learning cisco networking (just passed CCNA) and just want to use the routers and switches so I can get my lab pc out to the net for auto updates without having to mess about with changing network cables etc.....

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

i was just letting you know - understand doing network stuff as am also doing it...

as for hooking up 3 routers together I have no idea!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

as you have done course best way is set up static ip address on lan's problem is 2 devices trying to estabilise dhcp best to turn off other and manually configure its ip

Exchange:
      Thanks

Theres a static route on the one hooked into the sky box which it gains through dhcp and is 0.0.0.0 so basically all networks. This works.

Everything else in my little lab is all hardcoded, even the pc!

My pc pings the 192.168.0.0 network which is the last hop before the sky router (192.168.0.5 the port on the router this address is given via dhcp from sky box). But it doesn't get from there to the 192.168.0.1 on the sky box - very weird, it should do as it works actually on that router itself.

I'm now just wondering if the ping has no route back?

Or do I need a static route on the first router the pc goes via to all networks 0.0.0.0 like the other one does?

I've probably not explained that very well!

Cheers for the tips so far. IANTE, not having a go just pointing out!! Its 2 routers and one switch - but even so - it shows I obviously have no idea either, CCNA was easy next to this lmfao!!

Warfield is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01344
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Maybe not weird. If it's not working then you must be doing it wrong.

There is no problem hooking up 3 routers, large companies do it all the time to configure DMZ, branch offices or even floor by floor. Run a tracert to any web server to see how any hops are involved. It might take 5 hops to get out of the building.

Could the problem be that you are trying to route between private networks? Nearly all home PC configurations in the world are allocated IP address in the192.168.0.X range so how can a router route the packets?

Try using IP addresses from the 24-bit block (10.X.X.X) range or just hijack some public IP addresses for you own internal use. Your external router will have to use NAT out to the Internet so your internal IP addresses will be known only to you.

How have you configured your subnets? All addresses in the same subnet can be reached in 1 hop and won't use the default gateway (router). If the address is in another subnet then the packet is routed. Look very carefully at your subnet masks. Forget ping, tracert is your friend.

There is always more to learn and I know I am always learning.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Cracked it - PAT on the first 2600 (connected to sky router) with static route on the second router - jobs a good un

Cheers for the ideas