Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help with wireless connection

This is a discussion on Help with wireless connection within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I have a Sky SAGEM router connected by ethernet cable to the PC downstairs. I have a PC upstairs and ...

Barca9921 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Help with wireless connection

I have a Sky SAGEM router connected by ethernet cable to the PC downstairs. I have a PC upstairs and connect wirelessly using NETGEAR RangeMax (TM) wireless 2.0 adapter WPN111. It is supposed to give 108Mbs but only shows 54Mbs and the Sky router appears to only have options for 54Mbs.
      My signal is quite poor (52%). I am on channel 11.
      I am running vista on the upstairs computer and have a Realtek RTL8168/811 PCI-E Gigabit ethernet adapter.
      Would I be better getting another router and connecting this to my ethernet card ? Would this give me a better signal ? Would I be able to pick up the Sky signal ?
      Thanks for your help in advance !
      Peter

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Help with wireless connection

The router only goes up to 54Mbs, you want faster than that on wireless and you will need to buy a new router and try to get your details out of the sky router. Signal wise you could try each channel to see if one is better than the rest for you, start at 13 and work down, also make sure nothing is near the router that may interupt the signal.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that.
      Any suggestions for which router to buy ?
      Also, would i get a better signal upstairs if i bought another router for upstairs and connected this to my ethernet card in the upstairs computer ?

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The V1 netgear sky routers are 108.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

He has a V2

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Also, would i get a better signal upstairs if i bought another router for upstairs and connected this to my ethernet card in the upstairs computer ?
      You can only have one router plugged in at any one time. To use one upstairs your would have to unplug the one downstairs.

Wireless is not always satisfactory, it depends on too many things to give you a stable connection and is prone to interference from nearby networks. You might want to consider using a homeplug network, this will give you an idea. -
      HomePlug Networking | Broadbandbuyer.co.uk

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've now got a HomePlug fitted. My sagem router only gives 54Mb/s and I queried this with Sky.
      Their reply was as follows : -
      The Sky Broadband Box is a wireless 4-in-1, ADSL2+ modem, router, fast ethernet switch and SuperG wireless access point that lets you share your internet connection with up to 253 other computers on your home network.

Performance Features:
      Up to 108Mb/s (Megabits per second) wireless data transfer rate from the integrated wireless access point when used with 108Mb/s adapters.
      It's fully wi-fi certified with standard 802.11g, 54Mb/s wireless equipment.
      Supports wired Ethernet speeds of up to 100Mb/s full duplex.
      Includes and integrated ADSL2+ modem, providing download speeds of up to 24Mb/s.
      Maintains backwards compatibility with 802.11b wireless devices.
      Indoor signal range up to 150 metres and outdoor signal range up to 450 metres. (subject to walls and barriers between the computer and the Sky Broadband box).

Should I ask sky to provide me with the equipment it appears I should have as obviously the sagem is incapable of providing such rates ?

Peter

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Performance Features:
      Up to 108Mb/s (Megabits per second) wireless data transfer rate from the integrated wireless access point when used with 108Mb/s adapters......
      You have been given duff information. This quote refers to the DG834GT, not the Sagem. The Sagem and the Netgear DG934 are 54mbps routers and have never been claimed to be otherwise. The router speed refers to the theoretical maximum the it can communicate with other devices on the local network, it has nothing to do with Internet speed. All speeds distances are theoretical and bear little comparison with real life performance. Sky agree to supply a wireless router, not any particular one and they would still be within their regulations if they supplied an 11mbps router.

Home plugs work with ethernet speeds, which are much higher than wireless and can take advantage of the routers 100mbps ethernet speed. Once again this speed has nothing to do with the internet and are only attainable within the local network. Your internet speed depends on the condition and length of your phone line, which Sky have no control over.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.