Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Belkin N1 Wireless on Sky Broadband

This is a discussion on Belkin N1 Wireless on Sky Broadband within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I have Sky Broadband Mid. I am using the black modem/router they have provided me. I am only getting wireless ...

iTz CaSPeR is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Belkin N1 Wireless on Sky Broadband

I have Sky Broadband Mid. I am using the black modem/router they have provided me. I am only getting wireless internet signal in the room its in and the bedroom directly above it. I live in a big house and the walls are very thick. I bought another modem identical to the one sky provide, so I have 2 sky black modems. I plugged one into the phone socket i normally use and plugged the other into the phone socket other side of the house. I could not connect to the internet wireless when both are connected, I was told i needed a n modem router, I have bought a belkin n1 modem router and cannot get it to work on its own by simply plugging it into the phone socket (only one modem discarding the sky)or connecting it to the sky modem and trying to use the belkin as an access point.

Can i simply use 2 sky modems at the same time if yes then how

or use another modem on its own, heard that is breaking sky tcs or by plugging it into thesky modem.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Belkin N1 Wireless on Sky Broadband

It is a pity you did not come here for advice before you bought the new router. As you have discovered you cannot connect 2 routers to the phone line at the same time and connecting a non-Sky router is not exactly straight forward. Instructions on how to do this can be found in this thread -
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...tions-faq.html

Had you come here first you would have been advised to use a Homeplug Network which is far superior to wireless, especially in an old house with thick wall/ceilings, etc. If possible you may want to try returning the router you have purchased, the cost of which would cover a Homeplug system.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi I am happy to use the sky modem, i have heard that you can connect the sky modem to phone socket and then connect the belkin modem to the sky and ONLY use the belkin modem as the access point, i think this is simple and easier,if this is possible then how do i do it in simple steps, i have looked at the link and the link tends to serve for those people who want to completely replace their sky modem

So i wnt to use the sky modem as a modem and the belkin as a router. So in the duture as sky say when the new features come available the green and blue options i cant hen use

Thanks

Connecting second router.
      Enter the primary router LAN settings and change the last figure in DHCP server to 253 from 254. Make sure you click Apply

Remove the Ethernet cable from the Sky router and plug it into the Second router

Enter the settings of the secondary router using the routers default address, which will depend on its make.
      Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router (255.255.255.0) with an address of 192.168.0.254.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section with the same settings the primary router. Remember to confirm each change you make.

Reconnect the Ethernet cable to the Sky router

Connect from one of the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. Remember it must be connected by an Ethernet cable which can be up to 100m long..

Leave the WAN port unconnected!!! After connecting the Ethernet cable to the Sky router, reboot everything to allow new addresses to be allocated. Remember to save all changes as you make them

If you have followed this correctly, you should be able to enter the Primary routers settings and in the Attached Devices section, you should see that the Secondary router is shown with the 254 address and the PC attached to it should be shown with a different address. You should also be able to see the Secondary routers settings by typing http://192.168.0.254/ in the address bar of any PC attached to the network.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Steven_Belfast is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Or if the router is new why not see if you can change it for a Cable router ,
      this way you plug a Ethernet cable from any port on the sky router to the WAN port on the cable router job done ,

Also turn the wireless off on the sky router .

Exchange:
      Thanks

Or if the router is new why not see if you can change it for a Cable router ,
      this way you plug a Ethernet cable from any port on the sky router to the WAN port on the cable router job done ,
      >>>

I thought Cable routers dont work with adsl line?

I can change the belkin n1 for a cable thats no probs plus cable routers are alot cheaper. Please confirm if I can use cable modem with Sky Modem, if so then I would consider a netgear rangemax n, they cost around 30/40 brand new.

Also as I understand I dont need to obtain my sky mac address and password to use a router with the sky modem

Thanks

Something like this will work with Cable or DSL, it requires a modem to connect to the phone line. N Wireless Router - F5D8233UK4

If you can change it I would still recommend Homeplugs.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

A cable router would work ok ,
      Dont forget that the sky rotuer is not just a router its a gateway ,

Router are just for networking computers and a gateway is as it says gateway but with a router attached ,

So yes a cable router would work with any adsl isp as long as they gave a gateway that has Ethernet ports on the back so that you can connect the router .

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Belfast View Post
      A cable router would work ok ,
      Dont forget that the sky rotuer is not just a router its a gateway ,

Router are just for networking computers and a gateway is as it says gateway but with a router attached ,

So yes a cable router would work with any adsl isp as long as they gave a gateway that has Ethernet ports on the back so that you can connect the router .
      I think you should get your terms right or else you run the risk of confusing everyone. Wikipedia is your friend.

A network Switch is used for networking (connecting) multiple computers together in a network (Not a router). A switch is a dumb device which passes data packets between computers according to a label or tag (often but not always an IP address) on each packet.

A router is a device which reads the tag on a data packet and decides which is the most appropriate route for the data therein to find its intended destination. It needs more inteligence than a switch but routes according to a set of rules which are contained in the router's routing table.

An internet gateway is normally known as a modem which is simply a device used to connect a LAN to the internet via a telephone line.

The box sky provides contains all three - A modem to connect to the phone line, a router to route packets and a network switch to allow more than one computer to be connected at a time. In fact it actually contains a firewall and a wireless access point as well making it 5 in 1.

It used to be the case that Cable companies supplying internet services supplied a "Cable Modem" which is just a special kind of modem used in cable systems. If you wanted to create a LAN, you then needed a router and a switch which often came in the same physical box. These would be no good on an ADSL setup because they don't contain a modem at all much less an ADSL one. That is why the OP rightly says the he didn't think a "Cable Router" would be any good. In actual fact what the OP needs is to use a wireless access point cabled to the Switch in the sky box via ethernet or (as isitme advises) a homeplug system either with or without a wireless access point attached. A wireless access point (aka WAP) is the wireless equivalent of a network Switch - It does not contain a router.

If the OP lives in a big house with thick walls, a belkin router or WAP will still struggle to provide a signal from any distance - Just because is it N rated doesn't mean it can beat the laws of Physics. Send it back and go for homeplugs as already suggested unless you have hardwired ethernet points in the house.
      Last edited by Ratcliffes; 20-02-09 at 02:15 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

It can be done ,

When i was with Cable i had a Linksys router linked to a cable modem ,
      Now that i have moved i have linked it to my Home hub 2.0 as the linksys has Mac address filtering for the wireless .
      Last edited by Steven_Belfast; 20-02-09 at 02:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast