Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Belkin N1 Wireless on Sky Broadband

This is a discussion on Belkin N1 Wireless on Sky Broadband within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Originally Posted by Steven_Belfast Can you inform me how i am able to use a Linksys Wrt54gs router linked to ...

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Belkin N1 Wireless on Sky Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Belfast View Post
      Can you inform me how i am able to use a Linksys Wrt54gs router linked to a BT home hub 2.0 ?
      @steven
      Not really as I don't have personal experience of either piece of equipment. As a point of principle, it is not good practice to use a secondary router which sits behind the primary router. If the only reason for doing this is to extend the coverage of a wireless network then there are better ways.

However, have you tried to follow isitme's instructions in his post above? I am aware that this works for certain combinations of Netgear routers but whether it works for other combinations of kit will depend on the programming of the software in each item. Personally I wouldn't want to lose my sanity over trying to make this work reliably! Get a wireless access point which is designed to be used in this way specifically. 30 on ebay (or elsewhere) will get you a robust solution.

PS - I notice you have now completely changed your earlier post. Doing that makes it hard for anyone else to follow this conversation.
      PPS -I never said it wouldn't work at all, only that it isn't recommended. If you read up on what a router really does, you would understand why having one router behind another without proper control over the routing tables in both can cause a problem. In a simple home network it can work but given a free hand a network engineer would never do it that way. If you have the Linksys kit going spare then it is fair enough to make use of it rather than binning it but it would be wrong to recommend to someone else to go and buy a second router to put behind the primary router. A wireless access point or homeplugs remains the preferred method.
      Last edited by Ratcliffes; 20-02-09 at 02:28 AM. Reason: post being replied to was changed by OP

2. Advertisement
      Steven_Belfast is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I can see where you are coming from Ratcliffes,
      I only said for him to try to change the router to a cable one to save him for having to spend more money thats all ,

Maybe thats just being tight

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm all for saving cash!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12