Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help Please - Configuring WG602 Repeaters

This is a discussion on Help Please - Configuring WG602 Repeaters within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Apologies first as I am not vert technical! I bought a WG602 to act as an Access Point. I connected ...

seanie21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Help Please - Configuring WG602 Repeaters

Apologies first as I am not vert technical!

I bought a WG602 to act as an Access Point. I connected it via wired ethernet as directed. I expected this would just extend my current Sky wireless network, but instead it has given me two networks, Sky and Netgear. The problem is that they are forever tripping and continously need to be reset.

As an aside, I have just bought another WG602 in the hope of setting up repeaters. I wanted to check first if the above configuration is correct, or if I can actually use the WG602 to extend my existing network

Thanks for your time

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Help Please - Configuring WG602 Repeaters

This is the problem when extending a existing wireless router, try turning off the wireless in the Sky router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

seanie21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

TomD

Thanks, but will this reduce the wireless range in the house? I was hoping to set up a 'triangle' between the Sky Router and the WG602s

Thanks

Thanks

Have you set them to use the same channel?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

They need to be set up on different channels with the same SSID and WPA Key. Put one on channel 1 and the other on channel 13. That way you should see only one network but both wireless boxes won't trip up over each other.

If you get another WG602 to use as a wireless repeater, you may find it impssible to get enough separation between the channels in use and you might find that range actually reduces. See if you can get by with just one WG602 if possible. Better for the levels of wireless radiation in your house too.

Thanks

That's how I thought it should be done, but the problem is going to be worse if near neighbours are on or near the selected channels.

I honestly think that if the work stations are fixed PCs, a Homeplug network is far superior. Wireless is useful for laptops, but can be a pig to get working properly.

TomD

Useful Utilites