Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

problem after setting up wireless connection

This is a discussion on problem after setting up wireless connection within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I tried setting up a wireless connection between my laptop and Desktop which didnt go to plan so gave up ...

welshie87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Neath
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

problem after setting up wireless connection

I tried setting up a wireless connection between my laptop and Desktop which didnt go to plan so gave up on it. Now im getting an Internet Gateway displayed on desktop and the laptop which is disrupting my internet connection. I want to know if theres anyway to get rid of this. Ive managed to get rid of the network names on both desktop and laptop its just this problem with the gateway connections.

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: problem after setting up wireless connection

We'll need a lot more detail on exactly what you have done. Your post makes it sound as if you've set up an ad-hoc wifi network between the two computers whereas you should use a standard infra structure network via your router. So explain what you did to connect the two computers by wifi and exactly what you have randomly deleted.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

right ive used the xp network wizard to set the network up. the network showed up on both pc and laptop but i wasnt able to access anything so ive manahed to get rid of the network. cant remember how but theyve gone frm the home network page. Now on the network connections ive got my LAN and an internet gateway connection. Since the failed network attempt internet gateway has shown up n ive noticed that since its been there its been killing my connection ive either:
      1) Got to restart computer
      2) Restart Router
      3) Try and login to router which somehow reconnects me

So i just want to know if theres away to safely remove the internet gateway connection

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think you may have inadvertently enabled ICS. Have a look at this from MS and if the box in No 8 is ticked, untick it and this should turn it off. - How to configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok i went through add and remove programmes and uninstalled network services and its seemed to have got rid of the internet gateway connection for now and the net seems to be more stable not dropping like it was earlier.

Thanks guys

Sky TV:
      Thanks

i will add though that since ive tried doing the wireless network the computer clocks seems to be running fast. Its about 15-20 mins fast per hour i gotta keep synchronizing it once an hour to get the correct time

Thanks

There are various causes for this ranging from overvoltage in the motherboard due to a faulty PSU, to certain applications running. Azureus being one I have seen mentioned. First thing to check is if your BIOS clock is behaving badly, if it is loosing time you may need a new battrery. If it is also gaining then it points to a motherboard fault.

Before you pull any hair out, try these solutions.
      A. Reset the clock by
      1. Start->Run and type cmd.exe
      2. type net stop w32time >enter
      3. then w32tm.exe /unregister >enter
      4. then w32tm.exe /register >enter
      5.finally net start w32time >enter.

B. Set your clock to synchronize with a Time Server. The chances are, if you have not changed it, it will be trying to use the MS server, which does not work too well. To do this right click the clock in the tray and select Adjust Time and Date, choose the Internet time tab, then press the Change Setting button. Make sure the Synchronize box is ticked and type or copy and paste ntp.cs.strath.ac.uk into the box. Click Update now, then OK.

TomD

Useful Utilites