Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using additional wireless router

This is a discussion on Using additional wireless router within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi First post so please be gentle with me ! I am trying to run an additional wireless router Dlink ...

stamford_1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01925
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Using additional wireless router

Hi

First post so please be gentle with me !

I am trying to run an additional wireless router Dlink DSL-G624T through my sky netgear router DG834GT.

The reason for this is I have just bought my son a Nintendo DS lite and this uses WEP security and I do not want to mess about with manually changing the encryption on the sky router each time he wants to use the DS lite.

Can I connect the Dlink router through the sky router to basically have two wireless systems ?

Any help would be much appreciated by me and my boy !

Stamford_1

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Using additional wireless router

Enter the settings of the Dlink and set up the wireless for WEP. Go to the LAN IP page and change the IP to 192.168.0.254. Turn off the DHCP Server. Save all the settings. On the Dlink I think as well as saving the changes on the page you are changing you have to save them in the Tools section then reboot the router.
      Connect the Dlink to the Sky router with an ethernet cable, which can be up to 100M long, it will not work with wirekless. The Dlink should now appear on the Sky routers Attached Devices list. It is advisable to add it to the Reserved list to avoid any chance of conflicts. That should be it.

You may have to experiment with channels to aviod interference.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Truescotsman83 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunfermline
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Enter the settings of the Dlink and set up the wireless for WEP. Go to the LAN IP page and change the IP to 192.168.0.254. Turn off the DHCP Server. Save all the settings. On the Dlink I think as well as saving the changes on the page you are changing you have to save them in the Tools section then reboot the router.
      Connect the Dlink to the Sky router with an ethernet cable, which can be up to 100M long, it will not work with wirekless. The Dlink should now appear on the Sky routers Attached Devices list. It is advisable to add it to the Reserved list to avoid any chance of conflicts. That should be it.

You may have to experiment with channels to aviod interference.
      this bad advise, why would you change the LAN ip as there is no need and again with dhcp as he would need to manual configure any device on the network which is more complex if you dont have experince .

Make things easy for yourself, access the router via your browser by typing 192.168.0.1 then admin for your username and sky for your password . Then go to set up then change security to wep ,generate the key, write down the first key then apply. Set up both the pc and the DS using wep. you can turn the router off as you like, just dont do a ultra reset( holding the rest button down for 10 seconds). this way you dont have to change DHCP etc. Change the router to wep to suit the ds and make the rest of the devices follow .

Thanks

I am afraid yours is bad advice, furthermore I don't think you have read the original post or read mine correctly.
      The Dlink has a default address of 192.168.1.1, just try getting this to connect to the Sky router which has a range of 192.168.0.1-254. It will not connect. As the WAN port of the Dlink is not connected the DHCP must be disabled, or it will return a Page not found error.

The whole point of the question was to allow the main router to use WPA and the Dlink to use WEP. I am sure the OP is well aware of how to turn on WEP in the Sky router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Some additional information for the OP.
      You may run into a problem when changing the IP Address of the Dlink, apparently it does not like its address being changed. I had an email from a user in another forum I subscribe to explaining the difficulty he was having. You may be able to change it by telnet but I have never tried. This is the advice I sent him, it may well apply to you.

There is a work-around for the problem which is simply changing the IP address of the Sky router. I tried this last night and it works OK.
      What you have to do is go into the Sky router LAN IP settings and change the routers IP address to 192.168.1.254 and change the starting IP to 192.168.1.1 and the ending IP to 192.168.1.253. Remember to click Apply when making the changes. Make sure that’ Use as server is ticked’. Open a Command Prompt and type ipconfig /release. When that is done type ipconfig /renew. This will reconnect your PC to the router. If you have any devices set up with manual addresses, these will have to be changed to suit the new address.

Now go into the Network>LAN Adapter>highlight Internet Protocol and click the Properties button. Select the 'Use this IP' option and put in-
      IP address 192.168.1.2
      Subnet 255.255.255.0
      Gateway 192.168.1.254
      Click OK. Repeat the ipconfig commands above. This change is temporary; you can return it to Auto later. If you don't do this, the PC will be given 192.168.1.1 which will conflict with the Dlink.

Plug in the Dlink router, open its settings and set the wireless up as you wish, turn off the DHCP server. Remember to click apply after each change. With a Dlink, to make the changes permanent, you have to go to the Tools tab and save the changes. (This is the part where my correspondent ran into trouble with the address change. He was unable to open the tab as it looked for the old address).

Now open the Sky router settings, remember you will have to type 192.168.1.254, click the LAN IP setup and then the Address Reservation button. The Dlink router will be shown with the address 192.168.1.1, click the radio button beside it and click Add, then Apply. You can Reserve the address of the PC if you wish but this is not really necessary, unless you have some other reason, such as Port addresses.
      You can now go back to the LAN adapter properties and change the setting to ‘Obtain an IP Automatically’. Reboot the PC and that is it.

The only disadvantage with this method is that if you are forced to reset the router, the changes will be lost. Rebooting it or switching off and on will have no effect. It is advisable to use the Backup feature of the Sky router to save your settings, so they can be returned with little inconvenience.

TomD

Useful Utilites

stamford_1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01925
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks for your help on this.

Followed your original instructions all day saturday and Sunday morning and could not work out why it was not working until I saw your second response tonight.

Will give that a go and let you know.

Again thanks