Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Setting up my domain email with Sky and Opera

This is a discussion on Setting up my domain email with Sky and Opera within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Having joined Sky recently I would appreciate help in setting up my email package in Opera. I seem to have ...

Jimboe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Setting up my domain email with Sky and Opera

Having joined Sky recently I would appreciate help in setting up my email package in Opera. I seem to have messed things up so will have to start afresh, can someone help please? These are my requirements.

I have a domain email address, I also have a new Sky email address, but have no idea how these should be set up in Opera to allow me to send and receive emails with my domain email address, a walk through what to do would be much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Setting up my domain email with Sky and Opera

if you have access to their email servers then just configure it with them...if not, then you'll have to get access to an SMTP server as you can't use non-Sky email addresses through Sky servers without the Sky address being added to the address on the recipients email...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      if you have access to their email servers then just configure it with them...if not, then you'll have to get access to an SMTP server as you can't use non-Sky email addresses through Sky servers without the Sky address being added to the address on the recipients email...
      I have email servers with both accounts, but that is where I become stuck. Which one - - - Sky or my domain hosting company details do I enter in the server settings in Opera? Would sky go in incoming server and my domain email details in the out out going server? What goes in the outgoing server box i.e.
      smtp.tools.sky.com or something else. I don't know how to configure these setting can someone help please?

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Would sky go in incoming server and my domain email details in the out out going server?
      Yes - Or you could put the domain incoming details, if you are not using the @sky.com email address.

What goes in the outgoing server box i.e. smtp.tools.sky.com or something else.
      You would put your domain SMTP details here, not the Sky details.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Hi Jimboe,

You can set up your email client almost any way you like. I'll presume that you want to check your emails at your domain and at Sky but send only through your domain. Whilst I am not familiar with Opera, the principles are the same.

Set up an email account with the pop address (for mail retrieval) of your domain, e.g. pop.mydomain.com. In that account, set up the details for the smtp server (for sending mail) as for your domain, e.g. smtp.domain.com

If you want to check Sky for emails, set up a second email account in Opera using your Sky email pop details (pop.tools.sky.com) to receive any emails from the Sky account. If you have to add smtp details for that account as well, use your domain smtp server details, e.g. smtp.domain.com. Note that you have to authorise your Sky account for pop retrieval - it doesn't happen automatically.

Check that it works by sending yourself a couple of test mails if you have access to another account, e.g. googlemail.com, gmx.com, yahoo.com etc; if not, ask a friend or PM one of us with your email addresses. Send one test mail to Sky and one to your domain address and try to retrieve both.

Note that with Sky (like googlemail) you can only download an email once by pop; if you want to be able to leave messages on the server to be downloaded later or from another computer, preface your sky username with recent: e.g. recent:jimboe@sky.com.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Felix

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Felix, I seem to be getting somewhere. For the moment I have set up my domain account details in Opera and I'm able to send a test email which I can read in my domain account webmail. Usually this is then sent to my computer inbox in a previous set up but at the moment this doesn't happen. I shall most likely only use my domain email address for the moment and wonder how I get this webmail to download to my pc inbox. Do I have to set up a forwarder with my domain company perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by FelixTCat View Post
      Hi Jimboe,

You can set up your email client almost any way you like. I'll presume that you want to check your emails at your domain and at Sky but send only through your domain. Whilst I am not familiar with Opera, the principles are the same.

Set up an email account with the pop address (for mail retrieval) of your domain, e.g. pop.mydomain.com. In that account, set up the details for the smtp server (for sending mail) as for your domain, e.g. smtp.domain.com

If you want to check Sky for emails, set up a second email account in Opera using your Sky email pop details (pop.tools.sky.com) to receive any emails from the Sky account. If you have to add smtp details for that account as well, use your domain smtp server details, e.g. smtp.domain.com. Note that you have to authorise your Sky account for pop retrieval - it doesn't happen automatically.

Check that it works by sending yourself a couple of test mails if you have access to another account, e.g. googlemail.com, gmx.com, yahoo.com etc; if not, ask a friend or PM one of us with your email addresses. Send one test mail to Sky and one to your domain address and try to retrieve both.

Note that with Sky (like googlemail) you can only download an email once by pop; if you want to be able to leave messages on the server to be downloaded later or from another computer, preface your sky username with recent: e.g. recent:jimboe@sky.com.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Felix
      Last edited by Jimboe; 22-01-09 at 06:52 PM.

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Hi Jimboe,

Sorry for the long delay - I missed your latest posting.

wonder how I get this webmail to download to my pc inbox
      I'm not sure what you mean by this. Webmail doesn't download by definition. Do you have a mailserver on your PC that you want the email to be sent to?

With many webmail systems, you can view the emails as webmail or retrieve them by POP to your PC, which is what I thought you were doing.

Did you set up the pop download e.g. pop.mydomain.com? Is it set to check for mail each time? It is possible that if you send an email from your system to yourself, you cannot download it again; is this the problem?

You could set up your domain to forward all your mail to your Sky inbox, but I'm not sure that that would achieve anything that POP retrieval from your domain does.

Can you retrieve mail from your domain now?

Regards,

Felix