Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Running MS Exchange on Sky

This is a discussion on Running MS Exchange on Sky within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi guys. First post here but it looks like the perfect place to come for this problemi'm having with SMTP ...

mr2nut123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Running MS Exchange on Sky

Hi guys. First post here but it looks like the perfect place to come for this problemi'm having with SMTP auth.

I've just bought myself a domain from 123-reg.co.uk and have set up my MX records accordingly. They point at my dyndns accounts hostname so that mail is always sent to me no matter which IP I get leased from Sky. My Sky router has my dyndns account in to make sure it touches my account to keep things live. I can receive mail fine from any external account to my Exchange Server and access fine via Outlook or OWA.

Ofcourse, as reading the above, you will know that I have Firewall rules and port forwarding for ports 25 110 and 80 going to my Private IP of my Exchange Server etc.

My problem is, do Sky support sending mail from a Server using SMTP settings in Exchange System Manager? I have tried pinging smtp.sky.com and smtp.tools.sky.com and have put these resolved IP addresses as smart hosts like so [87.86.189.12] and [66.249.93.208] and they both throw up different errors as below...

[87.86.189.12] = #5.5.0 smtp;550-This service is no longer available. Please refer to

[66.249.93.208] = #5.7.0 smtp;530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first

The reason why I tried using a smarthost is because I received the following error leaving things as standard...

#5.5.0 smtp;550-5.7.1 [90.197.xxx.xx] The IP you're using to send mail is not authorized

Is there something i'm missing here or do Sky simply NOT allow outbound SMTP this way, or is there an external DNS IP I can put in my SMTP connection in Exchange?

Sorry for the long post guys, but thought i'd fully explain things to make it easier for any advice. Cheers

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Running MS Exchange on Sky

I've been looking into the whole DNS vs smarthost jobby, and ideally i'd like to use DNS, but from what I can see, I need to have a PTR record on my domain hosts (123-reg.co.uk) with my IP address/hostname so that mail can authenticate, is this right? The only options I have in the control panel for my domain are A, CNAME, TXT and MX though..

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

You cannot send your own domain mail through Sky's servers you have you use your sky.com email account details to send through the sky.com email servers.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

You could use the SkyUser SMTP server (for outgoing) - details here
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      You cannot send your own domain mail through Sky's servers you have you use your sky.com email account details to send through the sky.com email servers.
      Cheers for that. But I just got a weird one just now. I had my default smtp for my recepient policy as mydomain.LOCAL and I managed to get a few test emails through fine to my gmail account, but they showed up as mydomain.LOCAL which it clearly isn't local as my gmail account is obviously external I wanted mail to appear from mydomain.co.uk so I changed this on my Exchange Server to be default SMTP, then resent and now get the IP now authorized messages again?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      You could use the SkyUser SMTP server (for outgoing) - details here
      So do you think its sky that are sending me the message saying IP not authorized? I managed to get a few emails through by adding an A record to my 123-reg.co.uk account point to my external IP, but as per my above post, once I changed from .local to .co.uk in my Exchange, it then stopped working weirdly, not sure if it was that or I just managed to fluke a few emails through.

So are you saying that DNS SMTP sending wont ever work with Sky, and that I will need to go down the smarthost route?

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Won't work with Sky SMTP but will work with SkyUser SMTP. Remember Sky email is really GMail branded as Sky.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      Won't work with Sky SMTP but will work with SkyUser SMTP. Remember Sky email is really GMail branded as Sky.
      I wonder how I got a few emails through then? Strange..

Anyway... I've sent a request for a skyuser smtp account. Do I simply add the IP given as a smart host in my SMTP virtual server within Exchange? Does it require authentication with a username and pass, or does it use annonymous?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Cheers. I just tried using my domains IP address as a smarthost and using my 123-reg credentials for outbound security, and emails now send from my domain and land in my gmail account, but they take around 15mins each which is appauling. I did an nslookup on my domain to get the IP address i'm using as my smarthost. However....when sending to hotmail, I get this bounceback message which in a ways is great, as it proves my mail is hitting their servers...

#5.5.0 smtp;550 DY-001 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. We generally do not accept email from dynamic IP's as they are not typically used to deliver unauthenticated SMTP e-mail to an Internet mail server. The Spamhaus Project maintains lists of dynamic and residential IP addresses. If you are not an email/network admin please contact your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for help. Email/network admins, please visit MSN Postmaster for email delivery information and support

It looks like my only option is this skyuser smtp as my smarthost then. I look forward to trying it once I receive my username and password. Cheers for all the help guys, sites like this are great!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ive just been setup for my skyuser SMTP and it works a treat! Cheers guys, this really is a great service for us Sky customers, shame sky got rid of their old SMTP in the first place like..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast