Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

help needed please in setting up LAN with 2 AP/routers

This is a discussion on help needed please in setting up LAN with 2 AP/routers within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Originally Posted by Steven_Belfast Do you know if the 2 routers can see each other ? Ie in attached devices ...

keratos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: help needed please in setting up LAN with 2 AP/routers

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Belfast View Post
      Do you know if the 2 routers can see each other ?
      Ie in attached devices can one router pick the other one up ?

Also i am guessing you are using one as a Gateway and one as a Router ?

Operating Mode :

Choose the correct working mode. Keep the default setting, Gateway, if the Router is hosting your network connection to the Internet (Gateway mode is recommended for most users). Select Router if the Router exists on a network with other routers.
      thanks buddy for sticking with me however, sorry. I dont understand.

to clarify...(as above)

both devices are ADSL wireless routers with 4 port LAN built in.

the DG834 is the device with the WAN internet connection and 2 wired PCs + 1 wireless laptop connected. All works fine here.

the WGT624 is the device I wish to be able to connect the same wireless laptop + a wired xbox.

Devices can see each other but only if WGT624 is operating in client mode.

Gateway is DG834

WGT624 was setup to point to the gateway, i.e.
      wlan
      set gateway <mac address of DG834)

I dont understand your comment on operating mode (router / gateway). The WGT624 can operate in AP, client, repeater or bridge mode. Not sure about The DG834 but there are no settings on the web interface for this device to enable 'router' or 'gateway' mode.

With WGT624 in client mode and a wired laptop connected to it, I am able to access the internet from this device, through the gateway (wirelessly to the DG834) so all this works fine.

I cannot seem to get the WGT624 to operate in anything but CLIENT (set oper sta) mode. In this mode, any attempt to connect a wireless device seems to crash the router.

With the config above and with no wireless device anywhere near the WGT624, the two routers CAN see each other and are available in access control window (i.e. their MAC addresses show up respectively in each device).

Incidentally, I have just managed to hack the SKY router and uploaded netgear's standard UK firmware V4.01.06.

Firmware V4.01.28 seems to have much more settings like WDS but I cannot seem to get it to upload ... but thats another issue.

I dont know how to configure this upgraded box because it uses something called busybox.

I must be doing something wrong, or missing something.

My impression is that the DG834 will need to configured in order to allow the WGT624 to operate as a bridge or repeater. But I dont know what or how to do [this].

I guess if someone could post the instructions to set up the WGT624 using the wlan shell, and also post the instructions for setting up this newly flashed DG834 then I would be obliged.

As I said, I can get the WGT264 to operate as client , but this is not what I want.

Am I making this clear. I do hope so.

???

thanks in advance.
      Last edited by keratos; 11-12-08 at 11:35 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Steven_Belfast is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hello man ,

On the Gateway you mite need to set the other routers ip address as a DMZ ,

Not only that in your last post you said you were able to connect from the router to the gateway to the internet am i reading that right ?
      If so what is it that is not working ?

The main point is forget all the other devices just focus on the gateway - the other router and 1 laptop / pc

once you get this working the rest should be ok ,

Ps : I think the other really needs to be a AP , or a repeater ,
      On the router page of that router does it not list any help for what each is for ?

Also screenies would be a big help ,

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hey.

erm, I think I'm confusing you with all the detail above.

I thought I should provide the detail.

okay, quite simply ...

the gateway WORKS. the gateway is a DG834. all wireless and wired PCs connected to it, work!

okay, so the other router is a WGT624. an xbox is connected to the WGT624 and can 'see' the internet. this ONLY works with WGT624 in CLIENT mode.
      However, if I try to connect a wireless laptop to WGT624 I loose the WGT624. Nothing works. UNLESS I set the WGT624 as an AP (not CLIENT). The wireless laptop will then connect to the WGT624 but the WGT624 does not then 'see' the DG834 and thus I loose the internet.

I cant make it any simpler I think.

sorry.

again, please, can someone provide ALL the settings for BOTH routers.

the 'router' page you refer to, well what is that. the web interface does not have a 'router' page.

what do you want screenies of? there are about 20 screens on each page of the web interfaces.

I have telnet connectivity into both routers if that helps. if you know the commands, I can submit them.

That is what I need really. the commands for the wla shell and the busybox shell.

Exchange:
      Thanks

okay, so the other router is a WGT624. an xbox is connected to the WGT624 and can 'see' the internet. this ONLY works with WGT624 in CLIENT mode.
      However, if I try to connect a wireless laptop to WGT624 I loose the WGT624. Nothing works. UNLESS I set the WGT624 as an AP (not CLIENT). The wireless laptop will then connect to the WGT624 but the WGT624 does not then 'see' the DG834 and thus I loose the internet.

I get what you mean ,
      But i am sure that you will not be able to get this done ,
      It seems that if you connect the router to the gateay using the wireless then it will not let any thing connect to it ,

As for a web interface must be a nice router you got man .

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Its just the std Netgear f/w.

Surely this can be done.

Both routers have a plethora of settings I can configure via telnet in the wla shell (or busybox for the DG834). Its just a matter of knowing what the settings are for this situation. Both can operate in WDS, both can do AP/client/repeater/bridge modes.

It must surely be possible.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

As far as I can tell, you want the downstairs "device" to work as a wireless extender.

I don't know if a standard router can do that as when I extended the wireless in the house I had to get a specific Belkin wireless extender as I couldn't get 2 routers to do it either.

And even then it was flaky at the best of times and gave poor performance even when it did work.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

UseLess is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Demon
      Sky TV: Sky+HD & Sky+
      Thanks

Greetings,

Well I tried to do this last night.... the setup here consists of 2 Compaq Proliant servers 1 of them acts as the LAN gateway/firewall I also have the router Sky supplied connected to the switch for wireless access only.

I have another router which is also wireless capable to which I connected my machine and no matter how the routers were setup my machine could not get to the internet. Even browsing the local LAN was problematic.

I'd therefore agree with Adrian that you may need a device designed to extend the wireless network and not another router.
      Quote:
      Life is like a toilet roll, the closer you get to the end the faster it goes....

SkyUser Pinger | Password Generator | Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Here is a few articles from Netgear you may find useful -
      Access points

Bridging

Repeating

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

(thanks for the articles post Isitime)

The DG834 is WORKING fine as a point to multi-point WDS.
      The WGT624 is not !!

Still waiting for a guru with the WGT624 command set values to put the box into wireless repeater mode. The firmware commands are there (i.e. set oper repeater and set WDS enable) but something else is needed.

Guru please :-)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Why not have a read of this .

myWorld

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast