Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router won't instal!

This is a discussion on Router won't instal! within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi, new to the forum, please excuse the noobishnes! Where do I begin? My sister in law has just signed ...

cagedbeast is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Router won't instal!

Hi, new to the forum, please excuse the noobishnes!

Where do I begin? My sister in law has just signed up & received the Netgear DG934G router. She has Windows XP (SP2).

She previously had BB with Tiscali using a speedtouch modem. I have uninstalled the old modem, but have major problems trying to instal the netgear.

She is connecting by ethernet cable. We set the cables up with all the filters etc, but nothing happens when you plug in the ethernet cable. I would have expected the PC to recognise that new hardware was being installed, and look for the drivers? Nothing happens.

In the device manager utility, there is a yellow exclamation mark under network adapters. This is described as a generic ethernet adapter, and I am not sure if it is one that is pre-installed on her PC (Gateway PC...pretty old one though). I have tried installing the netgear with the faulty looking network adapter disabled, and enabled. Nothing. I have tried installing new drivers for the adapter but again nothing happens.

I have tried using Sky technical 'help' but all they can say is, "it's your PC, not the modem....we can send out an engineer but it will cost you 60!!!!".

Now, I would have thought that if they've sent you out a piece of hardware, that they would have sent the relevant drivers? If not, couldn't they send them? I have tried looking for the netgear drivers on the net but there's so many different versions I can't get the right ones! That is assuming of course that the network adapter that's showing as faulty on the device manager, is the netgear one!!

Anyone had a similar experience? I'd be grateful for any help you can give. This is doing my box in. Unfortunately my sis in law lives 12 miles away so I don't actually have the pC here. I could buy a flash drive, but don't really see the point as surely Sky should be able to help me out??

Cheers,
      Mark

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Router won't instal!

The router does not require drivers, the part that requires drivers is the network (LAN) port on the PC. It's nothing to do with Sky at all and you should have the drivers for the hardware of a CD or DVD that would have come with either the motherboard or the PC itself if it is a shop bought unit.
      Is the PC a branded one (Dell, HP, Acer etc)? If so by getting the model number you can then look for the relevant driver (or we can).

NewDigger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The router does not require any drivers for itself which is why Sky do not provide any.

What you need is drivers for the network card in the PC.
      You should be able to find them here.

That is the Gateway Support website, after you have input which PC you have you need to download and install the drivers listed under "Network".

After that, plugging in the Sky Router should allow the PC to connect to the internet.

cagedbeast is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Thanks guys! I'll need to establish the PC model then see where I go from there. It's an older model & I'm not sure Gateway still provide support, but anyway, I at least know where to look now!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Even if they don't provide full support drivers should be relatively easy to get hold of for the ethernet adaptor/ chipset.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I'm surprised that the relevant drivers aren't part of XP SP2. In any case, as everyone points out, it's the computer that's the problem and not the router. I'd try the Uninstall option from Device Manager on the problem Network Card - then turn off the computer and let it reboot, this will reinstall any drivers that are pre-loaded on the PC. If the yellow exclamation mark persists it idicates the fault may be hardware related and you may need to install a new Network Card - they cost just a few pounds and are simple to fit.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If it is an older PC it probably has the IntelPro 100 chip, the drivers available from HERE

It may pay you to download and install Everest this will tell you exactly what network card is installed and enable you to get the correct drivers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Two thumbs up for everest here too, makes ID'ing hardware a lot easier than the old fashioned way of dismantling the pc to try and see the part number on the card lol.

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Its just possible that all the OP needs to do is enable the LAN port.
      If I recall its Start, Connect to, Show all connections, Then right click on the LAN Icon and click enable.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penrhyn View Post
      Its just possible that all the OP needs to do is enable the LAN port.
      If I recall its Start, Connect to, Show all connections, Then right click on the LAN Icon and click enable.
      Quote Originally Posted by OP
      In the device manager utility, there is a yellow exclamation mark under network adapters. This is described as a generic ethernet adapter, and I am not sure if it is one that is pre-installed on her PC (Gateway PC...pretty old one though). I have tried installing the netgear with the faulty looking network adapter disabled, and enabled. Nothing. I have tried installing new drivers for the adapter but again nothing happens
      Nope, drivers aren't installed correctly. I'm guessing previous ISP used a USB adaptor for connection.