Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Browsers won't download pages

This is a discussion on Browsers won't download pages within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I turned my laptop on this morning and found I couldn't download pages or email (I use Opera). So I ...

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Browsers won't download pages

I turned my laptop on this morning and found I couldn't download pages or email (I use Opera). So I tried Google Chrome and IE7. They wouldn't work either. I've changd from my laptops network card to an external card - no change. I tried swopping DNS (usually OpenDNS) - no change. At the same time I have a TV Viewer in my Vista Sidebar and that quite happily plays BBC/Sky newscasts and so on. My VoIP phone works. But no browser based activities do - except I've tried the browser facility built into Lotus Symphony and that works 100% and I'm using it now.

I've reset the Router (Mk1). I can now connect to the router with 192.168.0.1 from Lotus Symphony but not IE7, Opera or Goole Chrome. Video streaming and VoIP work OK.

TCP/IP is OK. I guess all the problems I'm having relate to http addresses whereas VoIP and Video Streaming may not be http (but I don't know!).

Any ideas about my problem with 3 different browsers?
      Last edited by dms05; 23-11-08 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Update

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Browsers won't download pages

In the end I discovered Vista had changed my 192.168.0.x type network into a completely different one. Using the Automatic Allocation of IP address caused the problem so I simply applied Manual 192.168.0.x addresses and the correct submask 255.255.255.0 and the problem was solved. But quite why Vista had a sudden urge to change my IP address after 9 months is unclear.