Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connecting Laptop using Windows ME

This is a discussion on Connecting Laptop using Windows ME within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I am trying to connect an IBM Thinkpad 390E which runs on Windows ME to the internet vis wireless. I ...

poor1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connecting Laptop using Windows ME

I am trying to connect an IBM Thinkpad 390E which runs on Windows ME to the internet vis wireless. I have the latest black/grey Sky Router. The laptop connects to the internet with a cable to the router without a problem.

I have a modern Vista laptop which also connects without a problem. I also have an XP computer connected by cable no problem.

I have installed a Belkin G Notebook Network Card to the laptop via the PCIMCA slot. It is correctly specified for ME. After installation it shows that a 100% signal is being received. I spoke to the Belkin support line and they were pretty general and not very helpful in their response, but one thing they said was that an older operating system would only work with WAP not WEP. I changed the router settings to WEB and it made no difference. The Vista laptop remained connected on WEB.
      Does anyone have any personal knowledge of settings for one of these wireless cards in conjunction with ME please?. Or can anyone offer any tips.

2. Advertisement
      newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Connecting Laptop using Windows ME

although not advised have you disabled all security to see if you get any connection?

It may be a firewall issue.

or as suggested WPA may be too old for the laptop and WEP may need to be selecte don the router for this laptop to function. The downfall is WEP can be cracked faster than WPA.
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

poor1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your suggestions. I did not disable the firewall because it worked with an Ethernet cable, but it's worth try. Thanks. As regards WEP & WPA - if it means switching the means of connecting each time I want to use it, it's not worth bothering. I smply wanted to give someone a wirelessly connected laptop purely for internet and email connection.

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It wouldn't mean switching it every time.

You would have to go for the poorer line of security and have a WEP password configured in the router. Then go and configure all other computers for a WEP password.

Your cabled PC would not need any WEP/WPA protection as it is not wireless so it would on,ly be a matter of keying in the new password on the VISTA.
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.