Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Communal System Help Needed

This is a discussion on Communal System Help Needed within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi im one unfortunate person to have a communal system and its driving me nutts!. I moved into my new ...

Havok316 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Communal System Help Needed

Hi im one unfortunate person to have a communal system and its driving me nutts!. I moved into my new apartment taking my sky HD box with me and noticed a 1 feed communal sky setup. So i got onto a local TV company who came and installed a stacker and de-stacker system that broke in 6 months time, so they had come out and replaced it and yet again its broken so im stuck on 1 feed, so i called them a thousand times and yet no response from them. Aparently im not allowed to put my own dish up as the building is run by a maintenance company. Is there any other way around my little problem? I was thinking of getting them to change the LNB on the dish from 4 to 8 or 12 and having a direct feed to my box, but they reckon it wouldnt work. Luckily the dish is right outside my bedroom window and the cables come right into my loft space from outside.

Please help some one lol
      Last edited by Havok316; 24-06-08 at 09:49 AM.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Communal System Help Needed

Erm if it's communal its not your problem at all, there will be a contract in place with whoever is running the dish and the maintenance company looking after the building. Get them to sort it out as you are contractually obliged to use their dish therefor they are obliged to make sure it works properly.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Erm if it's communal its not your problem at all, there will be a contract in place with whoever is running the dish and the maintenance company looking after the building. Get them to sort it out as you are contractually obliged to use their dish therefor they are obliged to make sure it works properly.
      Hi thanks for the reply. I got in touch with the maintenance company "Holdshare" and they told me the system isnt cut out for sky+ or HD and is for a single feed normal box which to me isnt satisfactory. They told me I can upgrade the system at my own cost estimated in the thousands. Id like to push it to court but i dont know where i stand etc

Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Might be worth canvassing the opinions of other tenants to see if they are happy to have a system with only one feed . If they are not it might be worth approaching the company again , a safety in numbers approach may succeed in getting them to install another feed. You may wish to ask to seek out the contract for the communal dish to check out what it says.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi unfortunatly there isnt a contract regarding the satalite system. Only thing ive found regarding this is "under no sircumstances are any signal recieving equipment i.e aerials, masts, CBs or satalite dishes are to be put up without the authorisation of the management company". To be honest if i were to get all residents to agree on upgrading the system the company wouldnt do it as im having trouble getting them to change a street light bulb in the private residential car park its a total joke!.

Does anyone know if i bought an LNB with 8 feeds could i directly leach off of it straight to my dish or is there a special box it needs to be connected to first? I just thought its a standard dish using standard cables going into signal splitters and boosters?
      Last edited by richone54; 24-06-08 at 04:15 PM. Reason: removed preceeding quote