Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stressful Sky

This is a discussion on Stressful Sky within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; God the way they set up this up causes endless frustration, I am getting to the the point where I ...

Rousey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Stressful Sky

God the way they set up this up causes endless frustration, I am getting to the the point where I might just pay someone out there to come and do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So Sky have sent me the wireless router. I don't want wireless, i'd rather have it all wired. i dont even want sky but the options are so limited when you can't get the virgin that they are the best in circumstances.

does the sagem router account for people who would like wireless, I note there is the connections on the back but that is for something else in the future?

I appreciate I need to hook into the master socket which is in the most inconvenient place for anything, so I will use a long cable to get the modem situationed someonewhere slightly more helpful. Can I then have the one wired port going into a router to feed the wired connection or does router to router just f*** everything? I had a very nice netgear router that had 8 wired ports and wireless but from what i have read on here it is agro to sort out and upsets sky. But what do they expect you to do... there is a reason their router is free....

Also, what would happen if I just plugged the computer into one of them micro filters and skipped the router, At a guess, not a lot? Sorry i'm not stupid when it comes to these things but this does seem overly complicated for just trying to wire 3 consoles and a computer in 2 different rooms next to each other!

Sorry for the rant..

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Stressful Sky

All Sky routers have wireless and ethernet connectivity. The Sky router needs to connect to the line as that is what is tranferring the data connection but you can connect your other router to a port on the sky router if you turn off DHCP etc on the second router.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

and running a longer dsl cable to move the router away from your master is just as bad as using a hardwired extention - worse in fact!!!

but as said, the Sky router is wireless - the arial is inside...

EDIT: and plugging PC into the phone socket would do swet FA - the router is the connection to the internet...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Blimey..

I've never really used the wireless way having never needed to, i'd imagine its a lot worse connection and speed wise?

and really I need to get the master socket moved somewhere i don't have to drag cables all over the place.. as theres not even anywhere for the modem to sit. I can't even re arrange the lounge as its how the furniture fits.

i have a lot of fixed extensions points around the flat but am guessing from what you've said that does more damage than good.

do people exist out there that come and sort all this out, prob take a pro half hour!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Have you actually tried plugging into an extension to see how it impacts the speed/ connection when referenced against the master socket? The best check is to plug into on of the extension sockets with nothing else (except filter) on the line and see what happens, once you get a set of stats off the router try again in the maiin socket (or even better the test socket) and compare the stats to see what impact is being caused.
      If the impact of your extension wiring is minimal then try using a socket closer to where you want it, if there is some impact you may be able to improve the internal wiring a bit more.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Paul, appreciated.

I haven't rigged it all up yet as I have been working out the best line of approach with everything being in different rooms.

I know I put this in a different thread but I have my main lounge with the master socket under the window bay. whoever was there before me has put an extension lead going round the skirting board to the next wall round under the tv cabinet. thats where the 3 consoles lie that need hooking up. then the next room along is what I was planning to have as a small office. This has a telephone point as do all the rooms which was wired in as a proper extension. But im guessing that is useless all be told to what I need.

I have attached an image of the layout so you can see what I mean, would be intrigued to peoples views...

Exchange:
      Thanks

I would get stats from the main socket and compare with the wired extension socket to see what the difference is. If the main socket has the fabled hidden test socket use that for a clean line test and see how that compares with other stats as that will tell you what impact your internal wiring is having. Obvioulsy being on the main socket is always best but if it works on the extension and you are happy with the results then thats cool.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rousey View Post
      Thanks Paul, appreciated.

I haven't rigged it all up yet as I have been working out the best line of approach with everything being in different rooms.

I know I put this in a different thread but I have my main lounge with the master socket under the window bay. whoever was there before me has put an extension lead going round the skirting board to the next wall round under the tv cabinet. thats where the 3 consoles lie that need hooking up. then the next room along is what I was planning to have as a small office. This has a telephone point as do all the rooms which was wired in as a proper extension. But im guessing that is useless all be told to what I need.

I have attached an image of the layout so you can see what I mean, would be intrigued to peoples views...

Do you have a mains socket within easy reach of the master socket? If so you could use homeplugs to distribute to your consoles and PC, you would just need to buy as many as you need connections.

I use these and they work great, much better than wireless did on my Xbox 360 anyway and I always get full download speed with them.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks again for the help guys

smithy, what are the things you are referring to, there is a mains plug right next to master socket so i'd be interested in what they are..

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

Looking at your layout, it will be worth testing out your speed on the wired extension point, I have a similar set up and get just under 7mb download on mid. FWIW BT claim I can only get 5.5. I can live with the 1mb drop for the convenience. I have 1 pc linked via a wire, another PC and a Wii running via wireless. The wii which is in the next room, in a similar way to your set up works fine. The second PC is upstairs, and is less reliable, but still works at about 2mb. If you already have the wiring in for your existing router, do as Paul said, and carry on using that, just disabling DHCP, and linking that into the Sky router, if not, set it up and give Wireless a try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast