Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Stressful Sky

This is a discussion on Stressful Sky within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I did try this yesterday with the extension lead. Dropped from 8560 to just under 8. Like you say, I ...

Rousey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Stressful Sky

I did try this yesterday with the extension lead. Dropped from 8560 to just under 8. Like you say, I think I can live with that for the convenience... Does it do any notable damage to your connection speeds linking another router in? Or does it survive OK?

The only other think I wondered is whether having a longer lead from the master socket to the modem would be better? I know someone said it won't be but surely thats better than the extended BT line?

2. Advertisement
      Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

I can't answer on the first point, although I had a similar set up to get an old non wireless modem to link into a wireless DSL router, that worked fine.

Rather than a long cable from the master socket to the modem, consider putting the modem at or near the master socket, and running a cable from that around. I stand to be corrected, but as far as I know, those can be as long as you need with no drop in speed. I would have taken that route myself, but my master socket is by the window at the front of the house, no plugs nearby, and several thick walls to drill through. It may work better for you.

Rousey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah I did consider that but mine is also under a bay window but there is my dining table and chairs with it. So for the sake of it looking ridiculously out of place..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12