Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

How can I set up Home Networking using SKY Router?

This is a discussion on How can I set up Home Networking using SKY Router? within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I'm sure some of you can help me with this one. I do have a fair bit of general PC ...

Godzilla is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke (THBZ)
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Humax FreesatHD
      Thanks

How can I set up Home Networking using SKY Router?

I'm sure some of you can help me with this one. I do have a fair bit of general PC knowledge, but am a total newbie when it comes to networking, so I have trouble relating to a lot of the jargon.

I have a desktop PC running under WIN XP PRO and one running WIN 2000 PRO. Both are happily working (hard-wired using CAT5 cables) with the SKY Router (with the latest firmware) for Internet access. I was wondering how I can use the router to network the 2 PCs together to allow file and printer sharing between the two. I ran the Home Network wizard on the XP PRO machine OK and created a Network Setup Disk from it, hoping this would set up the 2000 PRO machine easily, but apparently this disk is not compatible with 2000 PRO. I have not been able to find any articles/help files to tell me how to configure the 2000 machine to network via the router.

Any suggestions gratefully received. I might not be able to respond quickly to any posts resulting from this request, but I'll do my best to keep monitoring.

Thanks guys

Keith

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: How can I set up Home Networking using SKY Router?

As long as both machines are getting IPs from the router it should just be a case of putting them in the same workgroup and then sharing what folders you want to be able to access.

Godzilla is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke (THBZ)
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Sky TV: Humax FreesatHD
      Thanks

PaulSky

Many thanks for the quick reply. I was under the impression I would have to do some sort of software configuration on the W2K machine first, but it appears it is not necessary. I did as you suggested - just assigning both machines to the same Workgroup - and things started to happen.

I did have to modify my ZoneAlarm permissions on both machines, to add each other's IP address to the Trusted Zone, but now I am able to share files and printers successfully.

As usual I am VERY impressed with the way this forum is so supportive of its members - a lot of forums seem to go out of their way to make people seem stupid for asking simple questions, but this one is always professional, friendly and helpful.

Cheers

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

There is a guide with screens etc here that help show how the basic setup is done but once the PCs are on the same workgroup and are connected on the same network router most of the hardwork is done
      Windows XP: Set up your computer for home networking