Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

flashing a sky netgear dg834gt to universal usage

This is a discussion on flashing a sky netgear dg834gt to universal usage within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; hi ive won a sky issue netgear dg834gt v1 on ebay which i need to flash for universal use. I ...

nufclad147 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

flashing a sky netgear dg834gt to universal usage

hi
      ive won a sky issue netgear dg834gt v1 on ebay which i need to flash for universal use. I have also looked at the idiots guide to flashing an i have still got a question to ask after this ,so i must be an idiot ..oh well sum 1 has to be

The question is, is flashing to upgrade the firmware using the setup page within the routers settings browsing for image file not a good idea, As the idiots guide tutorial states to use the force firmware recovery utility exe programe

I have the lastest firmware an the recovery utility download an pick up the router tomorrow and id just like to double check whats the favored way.

many thanks for help
      nufclad

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: flashing a sky netgear dg834gt to universal usage

Carefully read the stickies and tutorials here on reflashing the Sky unit. You can't just use the inbuilt update facility.

As I recall there can be problems if using Vista and there are frequent problems with certain NICs (ethernet cards). Under no circumstances try to update the firmware of any router via wireless. You must use an ethernet link.

However, after a few glitches with NICs, I have reflashed a Sky unit bought at car boot sales and it now works reliably on a Tiscali account.

duckdodgers626 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi and Help!

Ive been all over this forum looking for answers can anyone help me??

The problem Just moved to Newzealand and bought my Sky DG834GT with me but having problems trying to flash the thing!

First problem was vista so now using XP I have followed the steps get to the final point click the upgrade button and nothing happens??

What am i doing wrong? (I am assuming that I can reload software for outside the US and UK use which I've found on the netgear site).
      Am I wasting my time?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

prob easier to just buy a non-locked router from the off...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

well attempted the flash of sky router doing as tutorials suggested.

i take it i have a DG834GT v1 because its white not dark.. an has sky sidd an key label any way telling for sure...

i get the force flash utility from link supplied on tutorial...
      i get DG834GT Super Wireless ADSL Router Firmware Version 1.02.14 from netgear site img file

i place it within same directory as the utility,,,
      i power down route rthen power up pressin reset pin for 5 seconds min ,,till power an test light blink ....
      i click on icon Rm .drv an ablack pox pops up sayin fandom text

i click on upgrade wizard.exe an a interface opens with next....

now here is where my 1 st problem struck ,,on my pc it simply said no LAN detected yet a netwrok connection is establish on LAN with stament conenction failed authentcation..it is a Nvidea chipset and on board Lan thats whats in system devices under ethernet ,its a AMD pc
      i did a cmd promt an ip config...an ping returns was adress 192
      I could not get past unable to detect LAN after pressing next on
      upgrade wizard.

So i tried my spare pc ..its pentium celeron 1.9 gig pc. realtek oboard LAN card
      this time following same proceedure as above ,upgrade wizardexe reconised realtek Lan
      it asked me to to choose realtek lan adapter
      i clicked next an saw upgrade button an back .... in model area was written 834

i press the upgrade buttom an nothin happens nothing, i dont get any indication on 0 to 100% scale even left for 10 mins ,,,I try press back button an nothing happens,, the prog seems forze till i press close an simply closes, no matter how many times i try the proceedure.

where is i going wrong here...i tried using a 2nd universal netgear dg834gt an flashin its firmware an same result just seems to stop on pressing upgrade an halt
      also state that i have deactavaited windows firewall from the LAn connection too while attempting
      Last edited by nufclad147; 16-05-08 at 05:29 AM.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

im guessin from what ive read on simular problems all that would be suggested is to try another pc , as my nvidia AMD pc dont even detect Lan device an the celeron pc with the realtek Lan just freezes on when upgrade is pressed... tried my daughters laptop athlon advent pc, froze again after pressing upgrade button
      tried my fathers amd sis chipset 990, froze again after pressing upgrade button :O( aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

tell you why i got the sky router ,my daughter has a netgear universal dg834gt only the antenni twig snapped on it so got this sky issue 1 to simply replace twig an i planed to use the sky issue 1 on a LAN wireless side switched off as i dont have laptop just a destop pc,plan was just use the adsl modem as it be slightly better then me usb tiscali issue speedtouch.
      Part 1 of me plan worked giving me daughter the twig antenni an i just now want get this sky 1 flashed to use on my desktop on LAN ,wireless disabled
      Last edited by nufclad147; 19-05-08 at 07:47 AM.