Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky BB and only 1/2mb connection.

This is a discussion on Sky BB and only 1/2mb connection. within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi, I've moved into a newly built house and bought the Sky package including BB . My problem is that ...

Calmcookie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky BB and only 1/2mb connection.

Hi,

I've moved into a newly built house and bought the Sky package including BB.
      My problem is that ever since I've received my router and been connected I've only managed to get 1/2mb connection.

My distance to my exchange is 4km as the cable goes......2.14km as the crow flies.

Here are my Router Statistics.....

The line attenuation appears high...but I'm sure I should be able to get a better connection.

I've phoned Sky and after much badgering they've said that they'll put it through to BT to check the connections.....

To make things stranger...here I am in a brand new build house...and I've not got a Master socket. My BT lines come into my house and the room where they first appear has a blanking cover over the wall socket....when you take of this cover there's just a mass of wires being held in some sort of cable connection block.
      My house was originally the Sales house so they probably rushed to get in the phone lines and didn't bother much with detail. Can I get BT to install a Master socket at no expense to me? Perhaps this may help?

I've tried all the suggested methods of removing all other appliances connection to the BT line. I've got 6 sockets in the house and found 2 with capacitors on a PCB inside the socket. I've tried connecting only the Router to these and still no difference. Tried rebooting the router, Sky have now sent me my 3rd router and still no difference.

Being new to Sky I've found phoning their BB technical help regarding this problem to be a real pain in the A*se. Trying to explain to a caller taker, who then has to consult a Super User, who puts you through to another department, who then has to consult another Super User...who wants you to answer some questions that you've just repeated three times before....blah blah blah.

Anyone got any ideas.....??

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: Sky BB and only 1/2mb connection.

Do all 6 extensions work as phone sockets? It sounds as if there may have been more than one line coming in originally (two sockets with capacitors)and someone has *******ised you phone wiring.
      Its well known that extensions especially if the bell wire is connected will kill your broadband.
      The best plan would be to get BT in to fit a master socket to the incoming line and wire your extensions to the faceplate, talk to them nicely and they may fit and ADSL faceplate. You may have to pay BT but perhaps reclaim from the builder for messing up the installation.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yep.....all the sockets work...and if I remember right they had a seperate line which was used for FAXs.

So should I phone BT or do I get Sky to request BT examine the wiring upto and into the house?

I suppose if I phone BT it may be quicker....

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

BT, to be honest it's nothing to do with Sky and needs to be done directly if you want it done within a timeframe.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The latest.....I've had a BT engineer come round and check the phone line and sockets.....he said they all give a clear line...there's no noise on the line. He was not a Broadband engineer though...but my voice connection was fine.

So I've spent nearly an hour on the phone to Sky talking to their Higher Technical Support....trying to persuade him to get a BT engineer to check my ADSL line. This Higher technical support guy rebooted my router and tweaked my settings, including capping my connection to 512mb to see if I could get a better steady connection. Still nothing improved.....after calling me back he said he had spoken to the BT engineers who would not physically go out and check my line. They said that as I was getting over 128kb, I was getting a Broadband service

In the meantime I'd been on the phone to Bt Broadband and they say yes that my line is capable of supporting a 3mb connection. I told them my problem with Sky and the BT sales guy said they would at least guarantee 2mb....so what the heck!!! BT wouldn't send out an engineer to check my ADSL on my request either......only if it came through my ISP.

I'm seriously pi**ed off with all this.....

Anyone help with ideas as to my next route?.......

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

do you have a test socket? if so plug into that and if the SNR goes up by a lot then you can get Sky to uncap the line once you've rewired the house. if not, there's an external line issue...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Nope......unfortunately I do not have a test socket.....

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

then its hard to identify the issue as it could be due to faulty internal wiring...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

If you can't persude BT to fit you with a Master socket try opening up each socket you have and check the wiring. You only need to have connections to pins 2 and 5, if you have wires connected to pins 1, 3, 4 or 6 remove them.

More info here:DSL ZoneUK - Improve your speed - Extension wiring and Disconnection help

Then check again to see if you Noise Margin has improved.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok...been round all the sockets and pinged off the Orange bell wire......now I only have the Blue wire going to No 2 and the White and Blue going to No 5 on all the sockets. I've also changed all the filters. Here's my current connection details......

Now...last time I spoke to Sky they said they had capped my connection to 512kb to help me have a steady connection.
      I suppose the best thing now is to get them to uncap the connection and see if it will connect any faster.

Crossed fingers for that one........