Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FTP server problems

This is a discussion on FTP server problems within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi All, I've read through the threads that others have posted about this problem but none of them seem to ...

beadlenet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crook
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

FTP server problems

Hi All,
      I've read through the threads that others have posted about this problem but none of them seem to have found a satisfactory answer...

I have an ICY BOX IB-NAS901-B NAS device connected to my V1 Sky router.
      It has a built in FTP server that I have set up a username, password and folder and specified a port for it to use.

In the router, I have added a service for this port and added Firewall rules directing it and ports 20 and 21 to my fixed NAS IP address.

I have set up a DynDNS.com service to give me a web address and set up the Dynamic DNS settings in the router (this works fine and saves you having to run their IP update client).

Using the Filezilla FTP client, I can access the NAS over my home network but cannot access it through the internet. All I want to do is access some files when I am away from home.

I have done the GRC.com Shields Up tests which show all ports in stealth status, i.e. not open, closed or even visible.

Is it because the ports don't appear to be open that I cannot connect via FTP?

Is it because I am testing the FTP connection from a PC on my network and the ports are already in use by that PC?

Or is it simply the fact that the router is ignoring my request to open the ports? It seems to work OK for the port I opened for uTorrent.

Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: FTP server problems

I have just tried to connect via FTP and the connection was refused. Make sure that you have put the rules incoming and not outgoing.

The IP number of the NAS has to be in the range of 192.168.0.x and that would be the IP that you would forward the traffic to. (if that is what you have already tried - ignore that bit)
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Make sure that you have put the rules incoming and not outgoing.
      Yep, definately in the inbound table.

The IP number of the NAS has to be in the range of 192.168.0.x and that would be the IP that you would forward the traffic to. (if that is what you have already tried - ignore that bit)
      Yep, 192.168.0.150 - I'll ignore that then.

What confuses me is that the Shields Up tests show the ports as hidden.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Absolutely stumped. I can't see a software firewall blocking access to it, if you have one.

I would have expected it to forward the requests.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Absolutely stumped. I can't see a software firewall blocking access to it, if you have one.

I would have expected it to forward the requests.
      I have ZoneAlarm running on my main PC but the NAS doesn't have anything that I know of.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I've sent the FTP settings to a friend to see if he can access from outside of my network over the internet. I'll keep you posted.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Getting FTP to work is a nightmare. Firstly, forwarding port 20 is meaningless. An ftp service never listens for any connections on port 20. It will make a connection from port 20 if it's working in active mode. In passive mode, it will listen on a high numbered port for a second incoming connection when it wants to transfer data.

Secondly, remember when connecting to the FTP server from your home PC, you have to use the NAS's private FTP server (i.e., 192.168.0.150) rather than your DynDNS domain name.

Thirdly, to support outgoing FTP connections, the router has to be able to tie up the FTP data connections with the command connections, and unless that's been implemented very carefully, a router can simply be unable to allow incoming FTP connections. It's a similar situation with setting up port forwarding for port 80 (HTTP). Most routers have web-based configuration pages, and will only allow your own PCs to access those pages - i.e., it'll block incoming connections to port 80 from outside your own network. When you set up port forward for port 80 to a web server that you've set up, the router should do things so that the port forwarding take precedence over port 80 port blocking, but not all routers do, meaning it's impossible to port forward port 80. You router may do something similar on port 21 for FTP.

You don't mention which router you're using. Judging by your "join date", it's probably one of the white routers. Forwarding port 21 seems to work OK (although actually transfering data is problematic), but if your router hasn't been upgraded yet, or you're using a replacement router (like the dark grey Sagem router), I wouldn't be too surprised if even that doesn't work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      Getting FTP to work is a nightmare. Firstly, forwarding port 20 is meaningless. An ftp service never listens for any connections on port 20. It will make a connection from port 20 if it's working in active mode. In passive mode, it will listen on a high numbered port for a second incoming connection when it wants to transfer data.
      The server asks for a port number to use so I guess it has to be active mode.

Secondly, remember when connecting to the FTP server from your home PC, you have to use the NAS's private FTP server (i.e., 192.168.0.150) rather than your DynDNS domain name.
      Yes, This is what I did to access it on my home network. Its FTPing from outside that is the problem.

Thirdly, to support outgoing FTP connections, the router has to be able to tie up the FTP data connections with the command connections, and unless that's been implemented very carefully, a router can simply be unable to allow incoming FTP connections. It's a similar situation with setting up port forwarding for port 80 (HTTP). Most routers have web-based configuration pages, and will only allow your own PCs to access those pages - i.e., it'll block incoming connections to port 80 from outside your own network. When you set up port forward for port 80 to a web server that you've set up, the router should do things so that the port forwarding take precedence over port 80 port blocking, but not all routers do, meaning it's impossible to port forward port 80. You router may do something similar on port 21 for FTP.
      Can anyone verify if this is the case?

You don't mention which router you're using. Judging by your "join date", it's probably one of the white routers. Forwarding port 21 seems to work OK (although actually transfering data is problematic), but if your router hasn't been upgraded yet, or you're using a replacement router (like the dark grey Sagem router), I wouldn't be too surprised if even that doesn't work.
      Its a White Netgear DG834GT Version 1 Sky router with V.1.02.28 Firmware

Thanks

OK - I got my mate to try and connect from his house 30 miles away and here is a dump from FileZilla ....

Error: Connection timed out
      Error: Could not connect to server
      Error: Could not connect to server
      Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
      Response: 220 NET Disk FTP Server ready.
      Command: USER XXXXXXXXXX
      Response: 331 User name okay, need password.
      Command: PASS ************
      Response: 230 User logged in, proceed.
      Command: SYST
      Response: 215 UNIX Type: L8
      Command: FEAT
      Response: 211- Extension supported:
      Response: PASV
      Response: SIZE
      Response: 211 END
      Command: PWD
      Response: 257 "/" is current directory.
      Command: TYPE I
      Response: 200 Type set to I.
      Command: PASV
      Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,0,150,92,174).
      Status: Server sent passive reply with unroutable address. Using server address instead.
      Command: LIST
      Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

It took a couple of attempts to connect then log in.
      Everything looked OK until the last few lines.
      It looked like it wanted to switch to passive mode then had problems with the internal IP address which had an extra two parts on the end.

Can anyone elaborate on what is going on?

Cheers,
      beadlenet

Thanks
      Blog Entries

If you want to setup a temp account and PM the details for me to test I can have a go for you?

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beadlenet View Post
      Everything looked OK until the last few lines.
      It looked like it wanted to switch to passive mode then had problems with the internal IP address which had an extra two parts on the end.
      The NAS said that it supports passive FTP and the remote client sent a message saying that it did indeed intend to use passive mode. The NAS then responded by saying, "OK, when you want to transfer data, connect to address 192.168.0.150 port 23726". The client looked at that response and thought, "that can't be right, 192.168.0.150 is an unroutable address, so instead I'll use the address I used to connect to the FTP service in the first place (i.e., your public IP address)".

Then, the client tries to get a directory listing, and to get that list of files, it needs to connect to port 23726 to pick up the data. But you haven't forwarded port 23726, have you. And that port number that the NAS decides to use is entirely arbitrary and different every time you make a connection to it. This is why having an FTP server behind a NAT-ing router is a right pain.

Typically, to get a passive FTP server working, you configure the server to use a limited range of high port numbers for data transfer, say ports 52000 to 52999 and then set up the router to forward port 21 AND ports 52000 to 52999 to the NAS. The problem for you is that the FTP server on the NAS might not support such a system, which then leaves you having to forward every port from 1024 to 65535 - which is not ideal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast