Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Urgent Help Needed, Bricked My D834gt V1

This is a discussion on Urgent Help Needed, Bricked My D834gt V1 within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; It's important to do a reset after reflashing a router. Alternatively or additionally in the retail Netgear firmware there is ...

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Urgent Help Needed, Bricked My D834gt V1

It's important to do a reset after reflashing a router.

Alternatively or additionally in the retail Netgear firmware there is a reset to factory defaults button -- though I think the reboot button in diagnostics does the same thing in the Sky firmware.

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hellfire18 View Post
      I know the firmware will say 1.0.2.14 but below that there is a different firmware, it seems to remain unchanged even after flashing it back to a standard netgear router?
      It all depends what version of the ADSL firmware was included in the flash image. If you put the CU2.04 firmware onto the router, the ADSL firmware version number changes to "A2pB023f.d20e"

hellfire18 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: GARFORTH
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi James, I put the latest dg834gt_1_02_14.img from the Netgear web site on the Router, when fihart say reboot the router do you mean press the button in at the back to reset to factory default or simply do a reboot in diagnostics?

Why can I still see my sky username/password even though i'm now supposidly using the netgear firmware using Mossywell's utilityl?

Chris.
      Last edited by hellfire18; 08-04-08 at 12:08 AM.

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Vodafone
      Router: THG3000
      Sky TV: Freesat/Now TV
      Thanks

You need to press and hold the reset button for at least 10 seconds to set the router back to "factory defaults"

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hellfire18 View Post
      Hi James, I put the latest dg834gt_1_02_14.img from the Netgear web site on the Router, when fihart say reboot the router do you mean press the button in at the back to reset to factory default or simply do a reboot in diagnostics?

Why can I still see my sky username/password even though i'm now supposidly using the netgear firmware using Mossywell's utilityl?
      If you've put the standard Netgear firmware onto the router, you only need to reset to defaults if you're planning to use the router with a different ISP. If you intend to continue using the router with Sky, then you must not reset to defaults, because that would erase your Sky username and password.

I'll try to explain what's going on. With the Sky firmware on the router, there's no access to the connection username and password, but those settings are still there there on the router, it's just that they're hidden. When the router is switched on for the very first time, the customised code in the Sky firmware spots that the router hasn't been set up, and it calculates your Sky username and password, and sets those hidden settings to the right values.

Now, if you then put standard Netgear firmware onto the router, you do get to see those settings. In fact, that was the very first method that was described for how to get your Sky username and password out of the original Sky routers. So what you're seeing is entirely expected.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks moleman & James, I am going to reset my router to factory defaults this evening now that I have put the Netgear FW on it and see if it erases the Sky settings once and for all, if not i'll have another go at flashing it this evening with the Netgear firmware and let you know how I get on.

One final question -> If it turns out that I need to reflash it this evening can I just do a Router upgrade through the router web page and select the Netgear firmware now that it seems to accept this or would I still need to use the recovery utility to reflash?

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

You only need to use the Netgear Recovery Utility if you're switching from Sky firmware to Netgear firmware, or vice versa.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Once again many thanks (they need to add a "thanks" button to this forum).

I note that the Netgear D834GT using the Netgear Firmware 1.0.2.14 also uses A2pB022c firmware built on 10/11/2006, how would I go about upgrading this to the Sagem F@ST2404 - Version A2pB023f, built 19/05/2007?

I know I cannot use your CU2 Firmware as this is built around the 1.0.2.28 FW from Sky so I won't have a lot of the 1.0.2.14 functionality such as the ability to use thr Router with a different ISP.

I have knowledge of recompiling in Linux.
      Last edited by hellfire18; 08-04-08 at 10:38 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

V1.02.14 uses A2pB022c, which is later than the original Sky firmware (A2pB018e), but not as new as the driver in the CU2.04 release (A2pB023f).

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

At the risk of being cheeky could you compile V1.02.14 with A2pB023f for me only if you get the time. If not don't worry as I appreciate this is a big ask and will try myself tonight (if you see a ploom of smoke coming from near Leeds you'll know who it is ).

Chris.
      Last edited by hellfire18; 08-04-08 at 12:01 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast