Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reflashed V1 Router To Sky FW - No Connection

This is a discussion on Reflashed V1 Router To Sky FW - No Connection within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I have been using my Speedtouch 585v6 more or less since I had Sky BB installed some 16 months ago ...

boab2791 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lennoxtown (WSLEX)
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Reflashed V1 Router To Sky FW - No Connection

I have been using my Speedtouch 585v6 more or less since I had Sky BB installed some 16 months ago due to issues with the V1 router.

I later flashed the V1 router to the official netgear firmware and it seemed stable.

I now note Sky are rolling out upgraded firmware for the V1 so I reflashed the router back to Sky Firmware using the image on the Sky BB CD, now this is where the fun starts.

The router will sync to the exchange but will not obtain an IP etc from Sky. I checked the router stats page and I beleive I know why but can't seem to figure out how to change it because of the lock downs on the router.

The VPI figure is sitting at 8 instead of 0 and the the VCI figure is set at 35 instead of 38, also when I reflashed the router the default username/password was not admin/sky but admin/password.

Does this mean the image on the CD is the wrong image? How do I go about reseting these values that Sky have hidden?

I'm leaving the family home soon and want to ensure my folks dont have BB suspended or whatever if Sky find that I have been using a non-sky router and especially if the V1 will be more stable after this.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Reflashed V1 Router To Sky FW - No Connection

no to sound harsh - but it's your own fault if they get suspended...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

@ IAmNotTheEnemy

Thanks for your valued input, with feedback like that you feel very much like the enemy!

Perhaps if Sky had rolled out a router that didn't have these issues to begin with folks would not have felt the nedd to go down their own router route. The DG834GT had issues way before Sky got their hands on it.

Some assistance would be appreciated, I need to understand why the official Sky Firmware I put back on the router is not setting the correct values.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

James will prob know how to sort it out but this is just a lesson that you shouldn't mess with things - REGARDLESS if there are issues...

I'm not gonna get into an argument as it's been a million times before BUT you signed up and agree'd to Sky's T&C's so they can do what they want should the router not update...

hopefully, though, there should be a solution...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

moved to tech forum

billbhellend is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      James will prob know how to sort it out but this is just a lesson that you shouldn't mess with things - REGARDLESS if there are issues...

I'm not gonna get into an argument as it's been a million times before BUT you signed up and agree'd to Sky's T&C's so they can do what they want should the router not update...

hopefully, though, there should be a solution...

The Ox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Elmsall (MYSEM)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

boab,
      Did you save a back-up of the configuration files before you flashed it the first time?
      If you did try to restore the back-up and see if that re-sets it.

If you did not the only way I can think of is to update the router with CU2.04 firmware found in this thread Community Updates for the DG834GT then re-set the settings to 0 and 38.
      If you wish to use the original firmware update with the original.
      P.S
      no need to use the recovery utility on any of these updates as they should update through the normal update page of the router now you have re-flashed to the sky firmware.

Thanks

@The Ox

Thanks for that, I assume you mean upgrade this unofficial firmware with the router and then change the settings and then update to the Offical Sky Firmware through the router interface again.

I wonder why these values have changed, I had no reason to change them. I'm wondering if the sky firmware i have is corrupt in some way. If I flashed from one firmware to another surely all values would have been reset to defaults.

The Ox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Elmsall (MYSEM)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Yes you're assumption is right update with the CU2.04 firmware which James created, through the routers upgrade page so that you can access the VPI and VCI settings to change them.

When you have done that you can always either
      A) leave this firmware on as James has said it should connect to the sky update server as normal.
      B) Upgrade again with the official sky firmware and see if it works without changing anything this time.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boab2791 View Post
      The VPI figure is sitting at 8 instead of 0 and the the VCI figure is set at 35 instead of 38, also when I reflashed the router the default username/password was not admin/sky but admin/password.
      Reflashing the router does not change the router's configuration, but it does change the set of default values that get applied if you do a "revert to factory settings". It sounds like you must have performed a "reset to factory settings" when the router had the standard Netgear firmware on it (as opposed to the Sky firmware) and so it now has the standard Netgear default settings rather than the Sky default settings.

All you need to do, now you've got the Sky firmware back onto the router, is do another "revert to factory settings", and this time it will put the settings back to their Sky defaults. You can do this by either selecting the "Backup Settings" link in the router's configuration pages, and then clicking on the "Erase" button, or you can just push and hold in the reset button on the router, until the tick light comes on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast