Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Issues with Netgear V2 router AND alternative

This is a discussion on Issues with Netgear V2 router AND alternative within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; My Sky BB connection, after a good few months of sterling service, began dropping it's connection and having sync issues ...

hattermad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Issues with Netgear V2 router AND alternative

My Sky BB connection, after a good few months of sterling service, began dropping it's connection and having sync issues a few weeks ago. Calls to sky support resulted in frequently changed ADSL filters, and annoyingly, a connection that would typically work for about 5 minutes before dropping again (rebooting the router pretty much gets a sync 1 in 3 times or so). As a result I've been unable to penetrate sky support sufficiently to talk to someone not working from a script. My download speed is only about 1600kbps even when working, so I know I'm not on an ideal line, but as I said, up until recently, it was very stable.

I've been through the FAQ here, and as I fancied hooking up on Draft-N to match my recently purchased laptop, I extracted the username and password along with the MAC address of the router and purchased a Linksys WAG325N. I fed in the details and whooped as the router synced immediately and maintained a stable connection. Unfortunately, that connection has a downstream speed of 384kbps (sometimes even slower). Even that is an improvement compared to a connection where I'm unsure if any download will complete, but it's not sufficient for my needs.

Some other settings: VC multiplexing, autodetect resulting in VPI of 0 and VCI of 38. I've left modulation at Multimode.

It feels like I'm missing something obvious. Anyone have any ideas? Is seem to be stuck between the rock of an unreliable connection at a suitable speed and the hard place of a reliable connection that is just too slow.

Thanks,

Hat.
      Last edited by hattermad; 12-03-08 at 10:27 AM.

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Issues with Netgear V2 router AND alternative

could you provide some info
      1) are you wired or wirless (may not make a difference, just like to know)
      2) where do you plug the router in (extention / master socket / test socket)
      3) could you post some router stats, then could you do a comparison set of stats from your "test" socket (see first link in my sig)

sounds like an internal wiring problem from your test above

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your quick reply -

1) I'm using both wired and wireless connections - computers within the LAN speak to each other just fine, it's only an issue with contacting the internet.

2) It's primarily plugged into an extension, but to test for a wiring issue I have used the master socket. Unfortunately my master socket doesn't seem to have the same sort of faceplate as the one mentioned in your article, so I'm unsure if there's a test socket behind it. Given that nothing's changed on the internal wiring, I'm loathe to believe it's that anyway.

3) Stats from the WAG325N:

--- DSL Information ---
      DSL Driver Version: AnnexA version - A2pB022g.d20e
      DSL VPI/VCI: 0/38
      DSL Status: ShowtimeRetrain Reason: 1
      DSL Mode: G.DMT
      DSL Channel: INTR
      DSL Upstream Rate: 384 Kbps
      DSL Downstream Rate: 192 Kbps

Down up
      DSL Noise Margin: 7.2 dB 13.0 dB
      DSL Attenuation: 63.5 dB 31.5 dB
      DSL Transmit Power: 12.4 dBm 11.0 dBm

I have the V2 router, so I'm unsure it can produce similar, but hopefully that's sufficient.

Hat.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Given that nothing's changed on the internal wiring, I'm loathe to believe it's that anyway.
      have a look in the cabling and faceplate forum, you will see many who had similar problems (working fine for months then a problem either gradual or suddenly)

with your attenuation (63.5db would be at the limit of ADSL) any problems with your internal wirirng will be amplified. also it may well be outside of your home (along the miles of BT wire to the exchange)

if you do not have one of the NTE5 sockets with the "test" socket behind the faceplate you could have a look at removing the ring wire (which can act like an ariel picking up noise and generating errors, all info will be in the cabling and faceplate forum)

(Note: just to check you have found the master socket where the BT line comes into your house, if it is an old style master when you take the plate off the front there should be some sort of Diode (think thats what its called))

darms is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

sorry to bring up an old thread but have been searching quite a bit with not joy.....

I've also got a Linksys WAG325N and wanted to use it in place of the netgear (black) router, as the wireless range in my property is very bad.

Went through the settings as the op described and it connected to sky just fine. The issue is with the speed . Download speed is only at 1.95mb where as with the sky router its 4.95mb. Connected using the same wall socket (bypassed faceplate)

Sorry for the questions.......

1. Is there another setting that needs to be set?
      2. I did attempt to set the router up as a wireless access point but, no joy

Any suggestions what I should try next?
      Last edited by darms; 27-04-10 at 03:05 PM.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wow, this is an old thread. Only saw the reply because I apparently still have it set to notify me by email.

I'm afraid I don't have much joy for you - although the main problem turned out to be my line and it got sorted out, I never managed to get anything like the speed on my non-Sky ADSL router as on the Sky supplied one, and I'm not sure why.

In the end, I ended up turning off the wireless on the Sky supplied box, and just using the non-Sky one as a wireless access point, without it's ADSL functionality.

Hat.