Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

HELP!! Can't access netgear router.

This is a discussion on HELP!! Can't access netgear router. within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; You need to use the same technique that you used to get the generic Netgear firmware on to it. Router ...

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: HELP!! Can't access netgear router.

You need to use the same technique that you used to get the generic Netgear firmware on to it. Router firmware files have the name of the router embedded in them, so when you do a router upgrade through the web-based user interface, the router checks to see if the file you're trying to upload matches the router.

The only type of firmware you can get for the DG934G is the Sky firmware, so you can't have put any other type of firmware onto it unless you used the Netgear Recovery Utility. Now, because you forced generic Netgear firmware onto it, it thinks it's no longer a Sky router and refuses to accept the Sky firmware file as being suitable.

The solution is to use the Netgear Recovery Utility that you used before.

And if your next comment is "I didn't use the Netgear Recovery Utility," then I'm stumped, because I can't think of any other way you could have got generic Netgear firmware onto the router.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

prime example of someone not understanding enough about flashing a router...shame really...

not had a chance to look back but is there a reason why it was flashed in the first place? EDIT read it now, using another router would've been a smarter solution...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

xsickpeoplex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

time to give sky a ring me thinks!!!

try for a new router or move to another ISP.

thanks for the help guys!

Lesson Learnt.....don't mess with things you have no idea about.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Don't give up so easily! All you need is a PC (preferably one running Windows XP).

On the CD that came with the router, there's a folder D:\Utilities\Netgear. Copy that to your PC. Switch the power off on the router, use a straightened paperclip or something like that to press the reset button of the router (it's hidden inside a little circular hole on the back of the router). Keep the reset button pressed in and switch the router power back on. The router will display alternating lights - if it doesn't turn the power off and try again.

Once you've got the router into that state, double click on the RmDrv icon in the Netgear folder you copied earlier. A text window will appear telling you to press any key to exit, so press any key. Then double click on the UpgradeWizard icon and follow the instructions given.

That'll take a few minutes to finish. Once it has, the router will restart. Once it's settled down, press and hold in the little reset button (this time with the power on), until the "tick" light is illuminated. The router should restart again.

Once that's all done, you should have a router with Sky firmware on it, albeit the wrong version. But at least it will now believe it's a Sky router. Download the latest Sky firmware for your router from this link, and then upgrade your router using the router's web interface.

Hopefully, by this point, you'll have a fully working, Sky router.

xsickpeoplex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

[QUOTE=James67;134412]On the CD that came with the router, QUOTE]

thats the kicker!! They sent a guy to install it but he didn't leave me with ANY softwear!!

But I managed to borrow my dads sky bb cd they sent him!

do i need to install any softwear to go along with this? Cause they guy didn't leave my anything at all.....so it would be nice to do a full reinstall if anyone knows where I can download the softwear from!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12