Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Netgear V2 LAN problem after flashing

This is a discussion on Netgear V2 LAN problem after flashing within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I have just flashed my netgear V2 and everything worked fine, except now it refuses to talk to the laptop ...

stygian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Netgear V2 LAN problem after flashing

I have just flashed my netgear V2 and everything worked fine, except now it refuses to talk to the laptop it flashed it from over LAN, Wireless is fine.

Laptop - D-Link DSL-2640B - Fine.
      Laptop - Linksys WRT54GS - Fine.
      Laptop - Main PC - Fine.

Netgear - D-link - Fine.
      Netgear - Linksys - Fine
      Netgear - Main PC - Fine.

Laptop - Netgear DG934G - Nothing. No lights, no connection at all detected.

Im really confused by this, I have swapped wires rebooted checked IPs and every other setting i could find for conflicts but since the wireless works between the two and both work with everything else its stumped me.

If anyone has any ideas why i would be chuffed to find out as i have never come across this before.

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Netgear V2 LAN problem after flashing

If you connect a PC to the router, the port light should come on, regardless of whether there's an address conflict or not.

Am I getting this right? You plug your laptop, using an Ethernet cable, into the D-Link router, and the appropriate port light comes on, but when you use exactly the same cable and plug it into the Netgear rotuer, the port light doesn't come on.

What image did you flash the Netgear with, by the way?

stygian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yep, Thats right.

I Flashed it with DG934G-1SKUKS_V2.02.34-telnet.img and it works fine i can telnet in over wirless and play around, and i can plug other things in and the lights come on, just not the laptop i flashed it from.

Its a noodle scratcher, its not vitally important as im swimming in routers at the moment but id like to get it working as i want to see if i can eventually learn how to use the gpl source code and build a new image for it so i can use it with another ISP.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It's hard to think what the problem could be, really. The Ethernet switch on the router is probably the most reliable part of the router. I remember someone else having a similar problem which was only resolved by them getting a new router. One thing that has caught me out before was when I plugged in a badly-crimped Ethernet cable without realising it. Because the contacts on the plug were sitting higher than normal, they had bent the springy contacts inside the Ethernet socket beyond the point that they'd normally be pushed, and so were not bearing down on properly on plugged which had been properly crimped,

I guess it's worth taking a look to see if that's happened, but I think you'll probably need to get a new router from Sky.