Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using 2 routers

This is a discussion on Using 2 routers within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; ok here we go. I have a dlink wireless router and the sky netgear one which I am using. As ...

VEG
      VEG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maesteg
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Using 2 routers

ok here we go. I have a dlink wireless router and the sky netgear one which I am using. As the signal isnt that good on the netgear can i also use the d-link router in the other room but not connected to the phone line.
      Questions.

1 Will the netgear router act as wireless access point to enable my laptop in another room to get a better signal.

2 If so how the hell do i do it.

Dont know if any of it will work just thought i would ask.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Using 2 routers

you can link the 2 by ethernet cable and configure one (the d-link) as a wireless gateway...not 100% on the settings needed but im sure someone here will know...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

But if you're running a LAN cable to the other room why not just connect directly to that and forget about WiFi security by turning your WiFi off in the Routers settings. That's what I've done.

VEG
      Thanks

As i said in my post i dont want to run cables i want to try and use it wireless

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

What you're looking for, then, is a wireless repeater. There's something called WDS which implements functions like wireless bridges and wireless repeaters. Unfortunately, none of the Sky routers support it, so the only way to use your second router in this way would be to connect the two routers using a LAN cable.

The Netgear WGXB102 kit may be just what you're looking for. You plug one of the units into the mains, close to your Sky router, and use the yellow Ethernet cable that came with the router to connect it to the router. Then you plug the other unit into a mains socket in the room where you want to use your laptop. This second unit acts as a wireless access point, connected to the first unit through the electrical mains cabling in your house.

I've never used this system myself, but from what I've heard it's very effective, although perhaps a little pricy.

VEG
      Thanks

OK many thanks for the replies

Wise is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i have my office in the loft & i extended my network by adding a netgear WGPS606 Wirless print server-Gatway
      i have two computers in the loft both wireless & 4 Printers 2 on the WGPs606 (Hp 1220c & 1280) & 2 on the back of the computer Hp Designjet 750c & 120c with a parrel to USB lead on them) it woz so easy to contect up to my sky router just gave it the password & it woz done.
      we had a sky netgear 834 router ( we never had a problem with it) till sky mucked up & blamed the router ( it woz them not the router) then they sent us a segam router (i dont like it.) the WGPS 606 worked with both of em & i had to extend the network @ work ( site based) so we used the WGPS 606 I it conected up the the BT router with no problems @ all i think its a great little box of triks & will say to any 1 who wants to extend to use 1