Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

FTP Access

This is a discussion on FTP Access within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hey All, I have file server running on my home network, that shares out various files and folders to other ...

mtkphoenix83 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

FTP Access

Hey All,

I have file server running on my home network, that shares out various files and folders to other PC's on my home network, with a permanent address reservation of 192.168.0.2 .

I access these files and folders on the other PC's via Mapped Drives.

I would like to know what I would need to do in order for me to access the files and folders, from another PC outside of my network (eg: Interent cafe, friedns house, etc...)

I already have Dynamic DNS setup!!!

Thanks in advance.
      “The most overlooked advantage of owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against whacking them around a bit.” - Porterfield

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: FTP Access

We use a program called Gene6.com - Gene6 FTP Server (secure FTP Server with SSL), Exile, G6 Utilities! Set it up on your PC and then access it through the DynDns domain, after opening the port 21 on your router.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

audioslim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      We use a program called Gene6.com - Gene6 FTP Server (secure FTP Server with SSL), Exile, G6 Utilities! Set it up on your PC and then access it through the DynDns domain, after opening the port 21 on your router.
      Port 22 is also an FTP protocol port.

Slim

Midnight211983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02476
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I asume that the original sky firmware will not allow an idividual to run an FTP server as i have tried port forwarding and eveything but i still cant connect from a remote source.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

FTP is a bit of an odd-ball mechanism. With most types of TCP/IP connection, the client connects to a specific port on the server (e.g., port 25 for email, port 80 for web, etc.), data flows backwards and forwards, and finally either the client or the server breaks the connection. For protocols that work like that, it's all very easy to put a server behind a router that uses Network Address Translation (NAT), because all you need to do is forward the right port.

FTP is different. First there's two types of FTP, active and passive. Some years ago, the default type was active, but web browsers generally using the passive mode when handling ftp://… URLs, you really need to support both types.

When someone wants to transfer a file using FTP, their computer connects to the FTP port on the server. That connection is used to pass commands to the server, and to receive responses from the server, but the files being downloaded or uploaded do NOT pass through that connection. The way the file data is transferred depends on which mode has been selected, active or passive.

With active mode, the client sends a command to port 21 on the server, saying "I want to transfer this file, and you [the server] need to connect to my port nnnn to transfer the data". The client then listens on port nnnn, and waits for the FTP server to connect and pass the data.

With passive mode, the client also sends a command to port 21 on the server, but this time it says, "I want to transfer this file, and I want you [the server] to tell me what port you want me to connect to to transfer the data".

You see the difference? In both modes, there are two connections, one carrying commands, the other carrying data. The difference is that in active mode, the connections are established in opposite directions, whereas in passive mode, the connections are both in the same direction, and it's that aspect of passive FTP that makes things difficult, because not only do you have to forward port 21 for the "command channel", but you also have to forward the arbitrarily numbered port for the "data channel".

Anyway, here's how this is normally set up - first, configure your FTP server to use a restricted range of data ports somewhere in the range from 49152 to 65535, for example, ports 56400 to 56499. The number of ports in that range will effectively limit the number of simultaneous connections to your FTP server. And then on the router forward port 21 to the computer running the FTP server AND forward the complete range of FTP data port addresses (as set up on the FTP server) as well.

The biggest problem is finding an FTP server program which allows you to specify a range of data port numbers. If your FTP server doesn't allow that, then you'd have to forward every port number from 1024 to 65535, which isn't a good idea for security reasons.

I noticed on the Sky router, the Firewall Rules pages seem to lump ports 20 and 21 together, which demonstrates an ignorance about the way the FTP works. Port 20 (ftp-data) is only used as a source port number, not as a destination port number, so it makes no sense to port forward it. But that's a completely different issue. But I suppose it's useful to know that if anyone says to you, "you have to forward both ports 21 and 20," then you'll know that they don't know what they're talking about.

Incidentally, what FTP server do you want to use? If it's one I'm familiar with, then I should be able to give you more specific assistance.

Gernster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYBRIG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

hi,.searched the forums but then found this thread using google!

can you take a look at my particular problem here?

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...tml#post131845