Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sending emails from my domain

This is a discussion on Sending emails from my domain within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hello As a potential new Sky customer [I've ordered!], I'd like to know if it is possible to send emails ...

Mattallen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01227
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sending emails from my domain

Hello

As a potential new Sky customer [I've ordered!], I'd like to know if it is possible to send emails through the sky smtp servers, so that they appear to be from my domain: eg myname@mydomain.com rather than me@sky.com. I do understand that smtp.tools.sky.com requires me to authenticate with my sky login, but I'd like both the from and reply fields to show my domain which I've used for 9 years. Will Sky allow this, and is anyone doing it?

I will be using Outlook on my PCs and the built-in software on my Windows Mobile 5.0 PDA to send emails.

I hope someone can give me a definitive answer before the order goes through

Many thanks everyone!

2. Advertisement
      plank is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sending emails from my domain

I dont know if this helps but i host my domain at google apps.

Its free and it allows me to send email from sky BB using the SMTP server of google.

HTH

Dan

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I use 1&1 for my domain hosting & mail services and I have used it beofre joining sky with no problems, all you have to do is to make sure you get the pop and smtp addresses from whoever is hosting you domain and plug them into outlook.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks so far guys...

My domains are hosted by 123-reg [Pipex], they do not provide outgoing smtp (I have been informed to use the ISP's smtp settings for outgoing).

It would seem mad to transfer 6 domains just to be able to send emails, so I was hoping that would not be the case. Included in that count are 4 domains for everyone in my family, one for business and one for some charitable work I do part-time. So I'm hoping that I can just change my outgoing BTInternet smtp settings and continue as before, but I can't be sure it's that easy.

If I do need to change domain provider, will sky allow me to use non-sky smtp servers?

plank is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Mine are google......

but saying that i have heard that sky is using google now for its mail (am i correct) - i which case that may be the reason it works :-)

D

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I have my own domain and all my mail is routed via Google to weed out any spam and I use their setting to send any POP3 mail.

allen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Midlands
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mattallen View Post
      Thanks so far guys...

My domains are hosted by 123-reg [Pipex], they do not provide outgoing smtp (I have been informed to use the ISP's smtp settings for outgoing).

It would seem mad to transfer 6 domains just to be able to send emails, so I was hoping that would not be the case. Included in that count are 4 domains for everyone in my family, one for business and one for some charitable work I do part-time. So I'm hoping that I can just change my outgoing BTInternet smtp settings and continue as before, but I can't be sure it's that easy.

If I do need to change domain provider, will sky allow me to use non-sky smtp servers?

Hope I'm understanding you right .....what about gmail/googlemail. You can configure both of these services to "send" emails from a non-gmail address so long as you can veryify ownership of that address. They confirm this by a computer generated email to the address to confirm its authenticity. Wouldn't this do the trick for you? - sorry if I've missed the point - its a bit late!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sounds like gmail might be an answer for me, in order to keep sending with my own email address. To clarify, can I still *send* gmail emails from Outlook and my PDA, or am I obliged to use the website?

(Thanks for the help so far, everyone, I'm still waiting for an official answer from Sky )

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You can send Gmail emails from Outlook if you want. The settings to use are:

https://mail.google.com/support/bin/...B&answer=12103

allen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Midlands
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mattallen View Post
      Sounds like gmail might be an answer for me, in order to keep sending with my own email address. To clarify, can I still *send* gmail emails from Outlook and my PDA, or am I obliged to use the website?

(Thanks for the help so far, everyone, I'm still waiting for an official answer from Sky )
      You can "send" from any address you own using googlemail using outlook etc (ie without going to the website). You do however need to set up the addresses you want to use at the Googlemail website first as "accounts" though. Once set up that's it and you have normal pop/smtp services.

This link should help on how to set up accounts (ie different addresses)

https://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=1570

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast