Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

wifi connectivity problems using an spvE650

This is a discussion on wifi connectivity problems using an spvE650 within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but have had sky bb for quite a while now. I've never had ...

DDibbley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01325
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

wifi connectivity problems using an spvE650

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum but have had sky bb for quite a while now. I've never had any real issues...that is until now, and I don't know the cause?!?

I've recently bought an orange spv E650 and really like the phone. The only issue is that I can't get the wifi connectivity to work via my sky netgear router. The handset finds the wifi router/network and accepts the network key but won't actually browse any pages.

What's also odd, is that when I show the attached devices, even though my phone has a valid ip address, the router doesn't show it listed - it's odd as sometimes it shows my desktop but after refreshing doesn't - sometimes it shows my psp, ps3 etc...and other times, even though the devices are connected it doesn't show them? Would reflashing the router help?

Are there any sky bb users with the same handset (or any other windows mobile 6 device) that can successfully browse the internet using their sky router? The handset can't open valid pages "page not found" type error even though the same page opens on my desktop pc...or even when gprs is switched on on the handset rather than wifi.

Does anyone have any clue what might be set on the router that's prevent the phone browse t'internet? Even with no wep/wpa active it's still the same - I've searched the limited sky firmware settings and can't see anything?

2. Advertisement
      ricopico is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wolverton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: TL-WR1043ND (Open-WRT)
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: wifi connectivity problems using an spvE650

Hello

I dont have an SPV phone, although do have various devices connected via wifi, - eg psp, ps3, x360 :-p

I would suggest you try and complete the dns entries yourself.

set the ip to an un-used ip, if you using default values, then something like below would be ideal.

IP: 192.168.0.20
      Subnet: 255.255.255.0
      DNS: 192.168.0.1
      Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Also, depending on the device, sometimes there are problems using the keys for security, - it would be worth trying to input the HEX values from the router, instead of the passkey in ascii form.

1AlanM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scotstoun
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm having similar problems with a Nokia E61 Smartphone (s60 v3), which claims to be able to use WPA - don't really want to remove the encryption or step down to WEP as I do share folders over the network.

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DDibbley View Post
      Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum but have had sky bb for quite a while now. I've never had any real issues...that is until now, and I don't know the cause?!?

I've recently bought an orange spv E650 and really like the phone. The only issue is that I can't get the wifi connectivity to work via my sky netgear router. The handset finds the wifi router/network and accepts the network key but won't actually browse any pages.

What's also odd, is that when I show the attached devices, even though my phone has a valid ip address, the router doesn't show it listed - it's odd as sometimes it shows my desktop but after refreshing doesn't - sometimes it shows my psp, ps3 etc...and other times, even though the devices are connected it doesn't show them? Would reflashing the router help?

Are there any sky bb users with the same handset (or any other windows mobile 6 device) that can successfully browse the internet using their sky router? The handset can't open valid pages "page not found" type error even though the same page opens on my desktop pc...or even when gprs is switched on on the handset rather than wifi.

Does anyone have any clue what might be set on the router that's prevent the phone browse t'internet? Even with no wep/wpa active it's still the same - I've searched the limited sky firmware settings and can't see anything?

My Nokia N95 (Symbian S60) & my old XDA Mini S (Windows Mobile 5) can both connect to my Sky router, using wireless G & WPA.

Do you have the MAC filtering (Access Control) turned on, & if so, have you entered the phone's MAC address into the approved list?

Does your phone have an option for WiFi power saving, or battery life versus WiFi performance?

With my XDA Mini S, to get it to work properly with WiFi, I had to go to Start > Settings > Connections > Wireless LAN > Power Mode, & then drag the "Power Save Mode" slider all the way over to "Best Performance", rather than "Best Battery".

No problems at all after I did that.

Had to do a similar thing with my N95, with the S60 equivalent option.

nugadude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,i to have a n95 and am havin problems again connecting with wifi,i have been connected before but havent used in a while and is now not workin,all i get is ' no gateway reply' cant remember how i got it workin 1st time round...arghh lol can anyone help?

mrmond is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DDibbley View Post
      Hi guys,

I have the same pghone and got very frustrated with sorting out the connection.

You MUST make sure that in your wifi settings on the handset Settings-WLAN Settings-Power Mode is set to best performance.
      Once I had it connected you can view connection status details on the phone which will show the mac address that you can add to the truseted devices list if you want to.
      I connect up using Network name as SKY***** Network type set to internet.
      Hidden network and device to device (ad hoc) UNchecked.
      Authentication WPA-PSK, Data encyption TKIP. leve the bocx that says key automatically provided unchecked.
      In the Network key field make sure that you have abc mode selcted to key it in. Each letter will show as its selcted before changing to an asterisk
      Key index is set as 1
      Use IEEE 802.1x is ticked. EAPtype is set as smart card or certificate.

Even if you set it up with no encryption remember to have power set at best performance or it likely will not work.
      A lot of people find they cannot connect with netgear router unless this is on even if they can connect to other open networks.

Finally a bug in the os means that every now and then it will say the ssid is incorrect and ask you to put it in again.
      Just amke sure it's entered correctly (mine is in capitals) and it will just re-connect.

Hope that helps.

Ray

AWW
      AWW is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: East Kilbride,WSEKI
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

not sure if this helps but i used my nokia n80 to browse the web via wifi, and it worked great ?

i used the WPA security
      - Andrew W -