Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Not yet connected...

This is a discussion on Not yet connected... within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; ...but hope to be in about 5 days time but in the mean time I have a few questions that ...

Shonky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wellingborough
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Not yet connected...

...but hope to be in about 5 days time but in the mean time I have a few questions that perhaps some kind and knowledgeable person out their can help me with...

(I am currently with BT using their router, wireless on my PC and Ethernet on my Daughters)

1 Should I set up the router and my computer before or wait until the date I have been given?
      2 Should I connect mine with the Ethernet cable supplied then switch over to Wireless?
      3 What if anything do I have to do to get my Daughters PC connected? (given the cable is already in situ and working okay with the current ISP set up.
      4 Do I have to use the CD supplied - I have no desire to be lumbered with a browser or software that I will not be using?
      5 I use Firefox and Thunderbird any issues that I need to be aware of?

and finally do I uninstall the BT router etc after or before installing the Sky/Netgear router or can I just leave it as is?

Sorry if the above is really basic but you would not believe the problems I had with the BT setup when I first went Broadband and I want to avoid all that c**p occurring again, given that the BT support was worse than useless and I read that Sky support is not much better!

a tad

2. Advertisement
      gill07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alsager
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Not yet connected...

Right. Here's what you should do.

The day before your activation (at night is better for minimum disruption).

Uninstall any reference of your previous ISP, e.g. AOL software or Modem/Router and any other utilities for your BT service.

Then in the morning, touch wood your new Sky service should be active.

Is yours or your daughters going to be used as the main PC?

If yours, set up the Sky router using ethernet to see it it works first. There is no harm trying the Sky equipment before the activation date in case you got lucky and it's already done, it won't harm anything.

Once a wired connection works, then aim for the wireless connection to your daughters laptop/PC.

Hope I Helped.

Shonky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wellingborough
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Not yet connected...

Quote Originally Posted by gill07 View Post
      Right. Here's what you should do.

The day before your activation (at night is better for minimum disruption).

Uninstall any reference of your previous ISP, e.g. AOL software or Modem/Router and any other utilities for your BT service.

Then in the morning, touch wood your new Sky service should be active.

Is yours or your daughters going to be used as the main PC?

If yours, set up the Sky router using ethernet to see it it works first. There is no harm trying the Sky equipment before the activation date in case you got lucky and it's already done, it won't harm anything.

Once a wired connection works, then aim for the wireless connection to your daughters laptop/PC.

Hope I Helped.
      You did in deed and thanks a lot