Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Remote Desktop

This is a discussion on Remote Desktop within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Can anyone help? I can't get remote desktop to work. I have opened TCP and UDP ports 3389, forwarded them ...

btdevil is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gipsy Hill
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Remote Desktop

Can anyone help?

I can't get remote desktop to work.

I have opened TCP and UDP ports 3389, forwarded them to both IPs on my network (set them to static) Also added all the services for VPN. I set up Dynamic DNS with dynDNS (not sure what I was doing but I think it's ok).

I've tried disabling Windows Firewall and AVG Antivirus, but that made no difference.

I can connect to my office's VPN, but I can't remote desktop onto my machine. Or the servers. Or ping any machine on my office network.

Any suggestions? Anything I'm missing?

It all worked fine on my old BT internet connection.

It's getting on my nerves!!!

Thanks,
      Karen

2. Advertisement
      btdevil is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gipsy Hill
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Remote Desktop

Well, I've solved it. Very very simple, and I thought I'd post this solution in case anyone else is having similar problems.

Check what IP range the network you are trying to VPN and the remote desktop to is using. 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254? There's your problem. A possible IP conflict. Simply change the sky routers IP range to 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254. Reboot router. Restart PC or ipconfig / release to get a new ip, and hey presto, remote desktop will now work.

No need to do all the port forwarding, it is literally just an IP conflict. I'm quite chuffed with myself.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Remote Desktop

I use Logmein for this, as it is nice and easy to get working, no need to go around messing with Ip address and the like.