Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Fix for alternating lights on router ?

This is a discussion on Fix for alternating lights on router ? within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I have reset my router and tried to update the firmware using the recovery tool but when it was on ...

BrokenRouter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Fix for alternating lights on router ?

I have reset my router and tried to update the firmware using the recovery tool but when it was on the first stage "erasing EEPROM" it did not move beyond 0% and eventually timed out with a message saying "upgrade failed - remove power and retry".

When I did this, the router was no longer visible in the recovery tool despite the router flashing the alternate lights.

Is there any way to take the router out of firmware upgrade mode and back to normal ?

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Fix for alternating lights on router ?

Moved to Asking for Help

Hi BrokenRouter, welcome to SkyUser.

Yes, just power it off and on again.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

BrokenRouter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks but I have tried powering off and on - and also tried pressing the reset button again.

The router powers up without the alternating lights and then after a few seconds, they start again.

wedgehog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rugby
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You will need to re flash it because the last flash failed it has left it either erased or with corrupted software.
      Switch it off by pulling the DC power plug out and leave it for ten minutes to give the internal capacitor time to discharge. The capacitors inside this router tend to hold a charge for quite a long time after power is removed, so if you turn the power back on too quick, it never actually powered down.
      Now holding the reset button in with a pointed tool, plug the power back in and hold the button in for just a couple of seconds longer, now release it the power indicator and the Tick should be alternating on and off, if not, try again until they do. now re flash it. Your router will not work until the re flash is successful and it tells you that so keep trying.

spawnyuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redruth
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i think he has had the same problem i had... i had to get a new sky router because for some reason, my router would not pick up as a network device altho it was in the service mode, i left it discharging for days to no avail.unfortunately i feel this is one of the risks in flashing firmware in hardware, u always have the danger of fragging it, if you have a saoftware failure or cable failure of somekind during the flash, hence me now leaing my new router as it came, with the sky firmware on it,.,

Sorry Bud.....