Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Router and Netgear Access Point

This is a discussion on Sky Router and Netgear Access Point within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi, My Sky router works great on the wired LAN but when I try to wirelessly use our laptop it ...

macplace is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESFAL
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky Router and Netgear Access Point

Hi,

My Sky router works great on the wired LAN but when I try to wirelessly use our laptop it shows from low to strong signal strength but will not always connect to the internet.
      When I do get the laptop connected it is not very reliable as the connection drops out regularly. The wired side of the LAN does not drop out.

I thought of turning off the wireless part of the router and then connect in a wireless access point so my question is; Will this access point make a big difference to my wireless connection reliability?

Thank you for any advice,
      Robert
      Last edited by macplace; 09-08-07 at 06:08 PM.

2. Advertisement
      allen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Midlands
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Router and Netgear Access Point

Quote Originally Posted by macplace View Post
      Hi,

I thought of turning off the wireless part of the router and then connect in a wireless access point so my question is; Will this access point make a big difference to my wireless connection reliability?

Robert
      I'm not sure I understand your query. It reads as though you have access to some other source of wireless other than your Sky/Netgear router which seems unlikely for free (unless you have careless/generours neighbours). If you do have an alternative then the reliability will surely depend on the quality of the that source.

If your query is really about poor wireless connections with Sky/Netgear then there are loads of posts on this here plus details of a number of strategies which people have adopted. Won't take much searching to find these.

Thanks

Sorry if I did not explain my thoughts clearly.
      I would have a wired connection from the back of the router to a wireless access point and the access point would give me the wireless access to the internet. The wireless part of the router would be disabled
      Cheers

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I don't think anyone can really answer your question. It's more a case of try it and see.

Personally, if the access point is located in a similar place to the router, then I can't see it making that much difference, unless the AP is a very high quality one compared to the netgear.

Thanks

Hi,

Installed the access point downstairs and just switched off the wireless part of the router. The signal strength now ranges from very good to excellent with no dropouts (so far).

Robert

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

what AP id you get? (just curious)

tandt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Folks,

I need some help on the following.

Was previously for nearly 2 years, with another ISP (PlusNet); using Router Netgear 814; connected by hardwire (Ethernet), to “four” Pc; ALL working fine. Joined Sky Broadband recently; had line activated last Sat.; installed the Sky Broadband CD and that PC has web connection. But other “three” DO NOT; even after using Sky CD on each PC

Checked and swooped around the Router Ports and also the cables but other PCs just complain, when Sky’s “IE” is launched displaying “this page can not be displayed”.
      Hence, one PC works fine and is live with Internet but not the other three.

I do not think there are any hardware problems. But strongly feel that the Internet Connection needs new configuration on each PC, but Sky Broadband Tech. Team has not been of much help. I being not that PC literate am wandering if any of you can help and advise to get the other “three” PCs to connect to the net.

Keep up the good work and the site is fabulous.

Thanks & Regards,
      tandt