Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Had enough

This is a discussion on Had enough within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi, im using a Fujitsu Siemens Laptop with wireless tech built in! I was using a Belkin wireless modem/router and ...

Jamie31 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Miles away
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Had enough

Hi, im using a Fujitsu Siemens Laptop with wireless tech built in! I was using a Belkin wireless modem/router and my ISP was Tiscali. Everything was fine always.

I have since moved house and decided to go with Sky as we have to the tv package etc and people had said the broadband was good. With the same Laptop i now use the Netgear modem/router provided by Sky.
      The broadband works fine except for the wireless! I have rang Sky 4 times about this and everytime they say it's the encryption on my Laptop! and cannot do anything about it! I rang the Laptop manufacture and they said it's Sky's fault, there's nothing wrong with your Laptop, and there's nothing we can do.

It dosn't matter who i ring nobody can sort this out! My belkin router will not work iether at the new house, i have tried resetting it to factory setting etc and nothing!
      I rang them and they said it's Sky! Im sure you can imagine how pi**ed off i am.

I told Sky that im not paying for a service that dosn't work how it should, and i will cancel it if it's not sorted soon, to which they replied there will be a cancellation fee! I just cannot win! If anybody has any ideas to help before i throw it out the window, i would really appreciate it.

Many Thanks

Jamie

P.S Sky broadband tech support is appalling I have never in my life experiened anything like it.

2. Advertisement
      dflour69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hastings
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: TP-Link Archer VR2800
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Had enough

I don't know if this might help but i refer you to this thread on this forumhttp://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/wirel...-wireless.html

BTW. Re. tech support. Sky is nothing compared to Bulldog's

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It is Sky's fault for supplying wireless with encryption applied and then washing their hands of any confusion caused unless you buy your adapter from them.

First do a site survey/scan to see if the Belkin can detect the Sky router's wireless signal.

If no, you may have a hardware problem

If yes, you need to match your wireless adapter's settings to those of the router's WPA passphrase (which is printed on the router). Sometimes there's a problem with how the adapter translates the passphrase.

Some older 802.11b adapters (even Netgear models) don't work with the Sky router's 802.11 g&b wireless mode. The Sky firmware doesn't have the b-only setting of the standard Netgear firmware.

Best bet to get it going is to connect with an ethernet cable and temporarily turn off wireless encryption. The Belkin adapter may then connect -- if not, check whether it's an 802.11b model (which you might as well upgrade from at today's prices).
      Last edited by fihart; 01-07-07 at 10:54 AM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

To Jamie31, the service is working as it should - just not for you!! So long as connection works to the router then there is no ground for cancelation. Not paying Sky would lead to a block on your BB which in the long run could take longer to resolve. Silly question, but does your laptop support WPA encryption or only WEP?

Does it work with the wireless security off completely? Could be a faulty router but seeing as most (modern) wireless adapters are WPA compatible then it shouldn't really be a problem. Personally, i think wireless is a crap technology and have hardwired my house bcause of this (it may be getting better but cables>wireless anyday!!)

Only other way is to extract the logins from the Sky router to use with your old one and see if this resolves the issue (as you say this worked before - what was the encryption on that?). If not, then its definately your laptop

Thanks

Hi, Thanks for all your replies, if i turn off the encryption on the sky router it worked wireless! But then dosn't that mean no security? I again tried the belkin but got no connection! So i took my laptop and belkin router to my sisters tried it all there and it worked fine (shes not on sky bb)

I have had a look at that usb adaptors, there about 25 from a well known pc shop, maybe this is the simple answer.

Jamie

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

yes, with encryption off anyone can use ur internet connection - so it was only meant as a test. definately wouldn't advise leaving it like that!!

the belkin wont give you connection unless you extract the username/password from the sky one as you need them to gain internet access. Could you connect to the old belkin router though? what encryption is used with the belkin router?

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If the system works without encryption but you can't get WPA to work try WEP. Set this up in the router first. Create a passphrase and apply it but also make a note of the hex codes it produces. You may have to apply those to the Belkin instead of the passphrase.

If no joy with WEP you could use MAC ID filtering which allows you to tell the router which adapters are permitted to access the system identified by the MAC ID (which is usually on a label on the equipment).

WPA is preferable, so keep tinkering -- if the Belkin is 802.11g standard it'll work eventually.

Thanks

Hi,

Just to let you no i managed to change the encryption on the sky router, now its all working!

Thanks again to all that helped

Jamie