Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky (Netgear) routers and their foibles

This is a discussion on Sky (Netgear) routers and their foibles within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi everyone reading this. I just thought I would start a new thread specifically about the Sky router. As you ...

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Sky (Netgear) routers and their foibles

Hi everyone reading this.

I just thought I would start a new thread specifically about the Sky router. As you must all be aware by now the Sky router is a Netgear router with Sky firmware. Sky, for some completely obscure reason, decided to put their own firmware on it and in the process has killed off most of the good stuff that the netgear router had as part of it's set up. I mean things like the ability to block specific websites by name or blocking by keyword. This was one of the better things that the Netgear router did and it was so easy to do in comparison with other routers. Those of us that have kids (well me anyway) find this to be extremely useful in the never ending battle to keep kids safe on the internet. There are other useful things that the Sky firmware killed off, not quite as important as the blocking facility but never the less useful utilities. Luckily, again as most of you are aware by now, the Sky router is fairly easily reverted back to the Netgear firmware by downloading the latest Netgear firmware version and the Netgear recovery utility both of which are available on the Netgear website. I am not going to go into how this is done as that subject has already been covered elsewhere in these forums.

Having heaped all the praise on the Netgear router I have to say that this router is not without it's problems. Especially the router that Sky has opted for. A long time ago, way before Sky broadband was even a twinkle in Mr Murdock's eyes, I bought the 108 Mbps Netgear router. We also had one in a computer shop that I used to work at. Both these routers dropped their connections on a very regular basis. I actually had three of these "turbo" routers from Netgear before I finally gave up on them and got the 54Mbps version. That was 3 or 4 years ago. The Netgear 54G router that I got has performed faultlessly ever since. Reading stuff on the net about the fast router I found that hundreds of people were having similar problems to me I am still using the slow router now that I have signed up for Sky broadband and apart from a few dropouts caused by the Sky connection trying to optimise itself (these have now stopped) its been as solid as a rock. There were various theories put forward at the time about the 108 netgear router's problems. The main consensus of opinion then was that the router was prone to over heating. Indeed using the funny little feet things supplied with the routers and standing it on it's end did help in that respect but it did not cure the overheating problems.

I don't know whether this of any help to anyone or for that matter whether anyone is actually interested in my ramblings. I just wanted to say that whilst I agree that Sky has had it's problems with it's foray into broadband these problems are, slowly, being ironed out. Any "new boy" coming into the broadband field are bound to have teething problems. In my opinion though they are not all Sky's fault. I will concede though that maybe Sky should have researched a little bit more into which router they would use for it's shiny new broadband service.

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky (Netgear) routers and their foibles

Hi mate thanks for your input - it is still possible to block sites etc with the sky supplied router. Reverting the router back to netgear settings is possible but against the t&cs. I am not saying dont do it its up to you.

beadlenet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crook
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

@dholdi
      I was going to say the same thing. I am using the sky router to prevent my kids from accessing inappropriate material, but you could spend ages typing in web sites and keywords.

Is there a quicker way?
      Is there a text file or CSV file listing sites or keywords that you could download and somehow add to the router's settings?
      Could you backup the router's settings, edit the file by adding in the naughty sites/words, then restore the settings file to the router?

I would look into this myself but I'm 60 miles away from my router at the moment. Has anyone done or seen this yet?
      Last edited by beadlenet; 05-07-07 at 12:41 PM.

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Not automated at the router level because the Sky router just isn't build for that. (The corporate web caching servers can do this but they cost $$$.) You could do something at the PC level instead? I'm not sure what your requirements are but if it's to block children from accessing dodgy sites, there are plenty of apps out there such as Net Nanny.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

nogginator is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02380
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Hi dholdi
      You declare your sky-netgear router is a V1 DG834GT
      My 2 month old monster is a SKY DG834 "Made in China" like all hardware these days.
      When I address it - It mumbles firmware V2.02.44, but no menu leads to which model it is. Surfing NetGear.com us site offers no clues to its true ID - just further confusion. (Sky who)
      Can you help / offer assistance in clarifying what model ID it is likely to be. So I have some basis to research, before I mess with it . Thanks

alpenator is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01283
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I have just signed up to Sky Broadband and am not encouraged by some of these comments!
      I have used a Belkin Router for many years with my Tiscali Broadband, with no problems at all.
      Is there anything preventing me using my own router when I connect to Sky?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alpenator View Post
      yes, the contract you agreed to...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

My 2 month old monster is a SKY DG834
      If you have a white one, it is a DG834GT, if it is black/grey it is a DG934G

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

nogginator is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02380
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Many many thanks Isitme - things are clear now
      I'm a proud owner of NetGear DG934G V2.02.44
      Not the V1 DG834GT delux turbo declared in this forum cos I put Netgear in my details box
      Tomorrow the world - well some port forwarding if my medication holds up

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alpenator View Post
      I have just signed up to Sky Broadband and am not encouraged by some of these comments!
      I have used a Belkin Router for many years with my Tiscali Broadband, with no problems at all.

I have all three of the routers that Sky provide to their customers. Everyone of them has proven to be reliable. The only real issues have been with the white Netgear DG834GT and that was due to the original poor firmware. As sky have now fixed and rolled out the new FW to the DG834GTs the amount of difficulties and complaints on here has physically dropped.

As for using you own router, that's entirely your call. Although you did agree to use the one that Sky provided when signing up to Sky Broadband. It has always been in the T and C's and you really cannot blame Sky for hiding that fact.

However, personally I don't care what you do, use Sky's or your own, as long as you are aware that you could be kicked off Sky Broadband, for using your own, although there has never, to the best of my knowledge, been one case of this being reported.

To use your own, you would need to get the username and password from the Sky one, this is very easy to do:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extra...-safe-way.html

You would then need to configure your own router to use the Sky username and password, as well as a few other settings, which are all here.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...tions-faq.html

Its entirely your call as to what router you use. As long as you know the risks.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast