Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless set up

This is a discussion on Wireless set up within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Sorry if the post isn't in the right place or if it is incomplete. I just moved in a new ...

salmoliv is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless set up

Sorry if the post isn't in the right place or if it is incomplete.

I just moved in a new house and the landlord is using a NetGear wireless router provided by Sky. It's a small one, white with 4 RJ45 port and wireless.

I've tried to connect with a network cable (RJ45) and it worked. I got an IP adress and was able to connect to internet.

Then, to avoid to have a 20 meter long cable, I've tried with my wireless 'stick'. It's a Belkin and not a Netgear. The Belkin software detects the SKY wireless but I cannot manage to make it working.

Is it a known issue?
      Is there a documentation somewhere on how to set it up?

Thank you for your help.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless set up

There shouldn't be any issues if the Belkin is 802.11g standard (i.e. less than 4 years old) and supports the WPA encryption which is default in the Sky router.

Using the cable, go into the router via Internet Explorer (type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar) when the login box appears User Name is admin Password is sky. Go to Wireless settings, encryption and see what passphrase and HEX code is being used. Write down both. Log out. Go to your wireless adapter's interface and try applying the passphrase to the appropriate encryption type. If that doesn't seem to work apply the HEX code to the appropriate box.

Failing that, go back into the router and disable encryption temporarily while you figure out how to get wireless working with encryption.

Of course, there may be issues about using someone else's internet connection -- but presumably the landlord would have removed the router if he didn't want you to use it.