Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

NETGEAR 108Mbps RangeMAX

This is a discussion on NETGEAR 108Mbps RangeMAX within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I've just bought this router in the hope it ill provide me with a better wireless coverage. I was under ...

sony007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

NETGEAR 108Mbps RangeMAX

I've just bought this router in the hope it ill provide me with a better wireless coverage. I was under the assumption that I all I needed to do set it up as I would the standard netgear router. I can't seem to get the RangeMax to work, then I heard that you can only use the standard router. Now the reason why I bought rangemax was so I could get a good wireless connection to my desktop which is downstairs, with the standard router a bearly get 12% and it drops as well as the speed being crap, went into PC WORLD and the guy reccomended this router as the wireless range is 500% better than the standard and that will sort me out but I can't get it to work. Any help would be truely appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: NETGEAR 108Mbps RangeMAX

You must be aware that Sky routers have custom firmware so standard routers wont work.
      There is a forum on here for using non Sky routers but doing so breaks your T&Cs.

davefaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

What you ahve to do is "extract" you username and password from the Sky router and plonk it in to your new router, then everything will be fine. DON'T tell Sky though, becuase as penrhyn rightly says, you are breaking Sky terms and conditions.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

By the way, I would also recommend you buy a new aerial for your desktop. You can get one for less than a tenner on ebay, and significantly boost reception. You can also replace the ones on the router with similar effect.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Get that Range Max working !

A neighbouring shop has one and they're two floors down from me -- their signal is much stronger than from our Sky router one floor down from me.

Did your dealer say whether you need a matching Range Max wireless adapter?

sony007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The wireless adapter came in the box. I think i'll also need to get 5 meter USB extention cable x 2 as the strength is better than that of the standard router but bandwith is only hitting 15K/bs at the best of times and i'm 11MB via enternet connection on the primary pc.

@ Davefaz, so are you saying buying new aerial is the best solution to getting a much stronger signal ?

From having a low signal is there a way increase it to excellent via wireless connection?

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The suggestion of high-gain aerial(s) is sound enough for the desktop in theory, but you don't mention what adapter you have in there. Buying can be tricky because there seem to be several standards for the aerial connector socket and plug.

Netgear don't recommend changing aerials and may get shirty over the warranty if you have problems.
      Last edited by fihart; 12-04-07 at 08:49 AM. Reason: literacy

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I went through the process of "trying everything". I ended up buying new access points, PCI cards and endless tweaks and so on. I have to say that the most effective I found was to replace the standard aerials on the router and the PC card with ones that I bought from ebay. Netgear have the advantage that all their aerials are replaceable. It is true that you do need to check fittings on the card in your PC, but just check to see if the fitting is the same as the Netgear Router and if it is you can go off to ebay and look for a standard fitting which is called Reverse SMA. Even the "next step up" a 5bdi aerial is what Netgear use on their corporate access points and will give about a 30% increase in reception and transmission. I have masses of Netgear products, and it is the very first thing I do with them - replace the teeny weeny aerial! Fact is with wireless, despite what all the manufacturers say, you need the signal strength to be 90-100% to get consistant performance. Netgear do sell their own long range aerials, but they are expensive. The ones on ebay are cheap and work just fine. You can even get directional ones to help fire the signal in a particular direction!!

allen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Midlands
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Just to add to the mix of experience on this thread - I've tried the high-gain antenna route without success. Very disappointing as it does seem to work for some. I've given up on Netgear for wireless and am using an old 2Wire router which does the job without any fuss.