Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless bridge

This is a discussion on Wireless bridge within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hey guys. I have a Belkin F5D7130 WAP that I'd like to use to create a Wireless Bridge to my ...

slyadams is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless bridge

Hey guys. I have a Belkin F5D7130 WAP that I'd like to use to create a Wireless Bridge to my Sky Router. I'm struggling to get it working. Here's what I've done so far:

1) Set the channel, encryption type and password to be the same
      2) Added the Sky router's MAC address into the 'enabled wireless bridge AP' list on the Belkin AP. I can't find anywhere to do the same on the sky router, all there is is the 'Wireless Station Access List', but for the time being I've disabled Access Control anyway, so anything should be able to connect to it.

I can't get them to bridge though. When I do a site survey I see the two SSID's and connecting to each of them only lets me ping that particular access point (i.e. connecting to Belkin doesn't let me ping Sky router and vice versa). The MAC address that I am entering is the one that appears in "router status" under "LAN Port MAN Address". I thought that this would be the MAC address of the wired LAN interface, not the wireless, but another site survery tool I have reports this same value as the "BSSID" of the sky WLAN, so I assume it is the MAC address of the wireless interface too.

Does anyone have any experience setting up bridges with the sky router? Will I need to buy a netgear WAP for this to work reliably?

Thanks in advance!

2. Advertisement
      ChrisCornwall is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01606
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless bridge

I'm trying to do the same thing as the original poster. Has anyone managed to do this at all? I am currently running a long ethernet cable up the stairs to the study and I'd like to use my old Belkin F5D7130 wireless access point as a wireless bridge:

Netgear DG834GT
      \
      / (wireless)
      \
      Belkin AP
      |
      | (wired)
      |
      Office PC

I have followed the instructions and I am now at the stage where the Vista PC connected via a wire to the Belkin AP has detected the network as SKYxxxxx so it must be getting as far as the router. I have used static IPs for that PC and the Belkin AP. It isn't however showing up in the list of attached devices in the Netgear settings and I can't ping between the two.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Wireless bridge

I do not think the Sky firmware supports bridging mode.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.