Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless help needed

This is a discussion on Wireless help needed within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have a sky router, my PC doesnt seem to be wireless enabled. What do I need to do to ...

jonahbwfc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless help needed

I have a sky router, my PC doesnt seem to be wireless enabled. What do I need to do to connect my PC to sky broadband wireless?

What do I need to buy?

At the moment I have a massive cable running through the house!!!

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless help needed

Wireless is seldom as quick or reliable as ethernet and the stated range (usually 100 metres) is not even vaguely true within a building.

It's pretty easy to install wireless adapters if you follow the manufacturer's instructions.

If you have a desktop/tower I would recommend a PCI card wireless adapter -- cheaper and better than USB. Try to get one that has an aerial on a lead, rather than just sticking out from the card (it makes it easier to position the aerial for better reception).

For a laptop, PCMCIA (aka PC Card) is more expensive than USB but may be better. However USB adapters are more useful because they can be used in both desk and laptops (and they can be positioned using the USB lead usually supplied).

Sky will sell you a Netgear USB adapter for 23 inc p&p and they'll be more helpful with problems than if you buy elsewhere. Netgear are pretty good (despite what people say about the Sky/Netgear router) but you might want to compare prices as other makes can be had for 15 (PCI from 12).