Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless LAN connects but no Internet

This is a discussion on Wireless LAN connects but no Internet within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I switched to Sky from BT last week and have experienced problems in getting the Internet to connect via ...

garyrgn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01462
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless LAN connects but no Internet

Hi,

I switched to Sky from BT last week and have experienced problems in getting the Internet to connect via a wireless link. I had been using a BTVoyager 2100 router successfully with an old PC running Win98 SE with a BT 1040 PCI card. I had realised that Win98 will not support encryption higher than WEP, so used this encryption level.

The new Netgear router supplied by Sky will not work with the wireless PC (no problem with the ethernet main PC) to connect to the internet.

I have tried reconfiguring the router to first try WEP and in desperation no encryption, with no success. I can see local files across the PCs on my LAN, but no internet on the wireless. The wireless will not connect to the Netgear local URL http://192.168.0.1/

Other solutions that I have tried include:-
      - changing the channel number
      - removing McAfee security on the Win98 PC

Continuing the desperate measures, I tried to use my old BT Voyager router, but of course naively expected the Username and password supplied by Sky to work. Having read various other threads, I realised it was not as simple as that, and managed to extract the deeply buried ADSL username/PW from the Netgear router config file.

Success, I can now connect to the Internet from both PCs using the BT router. But why does the Sky Netgear not work, even with encryption turned off?

I get a (marginally) higher internet connection speed with the Netgear so would prefer to use that, but do need the wireless connection as well.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Martin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Greyfriars
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless LAN connects but no Internet

garyrgn,

I have usually isolated WLAN problems on Win98 to be caused by driver issues. It may be worth hunting down the latest drivers for the BT 1040 PCI card. You might like to try running a Linux live CD (e.g. Knoppix which has good legacy hardware support) as this will confirm that the WLAN card is OK without making any changes to your Win98 installation.

Of course, running Win98 these days is a debate all of its' own. Have you considered moving to a Linux desktop(e.g. OpenSuse or Ubuntu)?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Martin,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am assuming the PCI card is working okay as it continues to connect to my BT Voyager 2100 router and I can connect to the internet using that route.

I accept there may be a mismatch between the driver installed and that needed to connect to the Netgear router, so I will investigate any available updated drivers.

Appreciate the problems in working with Win98, but it is an old PC that is not used often, and will not stand a Windows upgrade. And I am too used to WIndows to start using Linux (sorry!). But is becoming a quest to work out why a change of router suddenly stops the card connecting.

Regards

Gary

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No harm in installing the latest drivers and firmware.

You mention switching to WEP, and I would disable all encryption until I got a reliable connect. While you're in the Sky Router turn off UPnP which causes intermittent problems.

It's possible that the Sky unit's wireless is simply less powerful than the BT Voyager -- try putting the computer in the same room as the router to eliminate issues of range.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      No harm in installing the latest drivers and firmware.

You mention switching to WEP, and I would disable all encryption until I got a reliable connect. While you're in the Sky Router turn off UPnP which causes intermittent problems.

It's possible that the Sky unit's wireless is simply less powerful than the BT Voyager -- try putting the computer in the same room as the router to eliminate issues of range.
      I have in fact removed all encryption until I can sort this matter out. The puzzling problem is that the Win98 PC does connect to the Netgear router. I can access files stored on other PCs on the LAN. But I cannot access the internet.

The Netgear router appears to have a stronger signal than the BT Voyager, which is why I would prefer to use this. But not practical unless I can access the internet.

Will try turning off UPnP to see if this works.