Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

wireless problems

This is a discussion on wireless problems within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi Guys hope you can help, I have recently joined sky max, and I am having problems with the wireless ...

jeppos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

wireless problems

Hi Guys hope you can help,

I have recently joined sky max, and I am having problems with the wireless side of things, my hardware and connection is as follows.
      Sky Max package
      line noise 55db
      down stream at router 3776 kbps
      upstream at router 768 Kkbps

Router is connected to the main socket upstairs and in the test socket the router delivers 4mb only, I have no problem with this as I am a way from the exchange.

However my comp resides next to the tv downstairs as the plasma is my moitor so i can't move it, if i move the router to anywhere else my speed drops to 1850 kbps, but the strength increases, the best I can acheive with any combination is 325k a sec download speed

i have a usb 2.0 adapter in the comp

question for you all is what would be the best way to increase the signal to my computer within a reasonable budget.

thx

mark

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: wireless problems

Ethernet will deliver better speeds than wireless usually. You might be able to improve wirelss performance if you can place both the router and computer near windows (signals travel better thru air than thru brick).

If your computer is a desktop (or tower) the cheapest way to upgrade your reception is to add a PCI wireless adapter -- in my experience more powerful than USB.

If you have a laptop, I have a suspicion that PCMCIA (aka PC Card) wireless adapters are better than USB.

If price is no concern, have a look at Netgear's Rangemax USB adapter (and similar from other brands) -- but do ask whether any improvement depends on linking to a Rangemax-type router.

If you must buy a new router, it is possible to obtain the username and password that Sky flash into the router issued with SkyBB and transfer it to your new router. Advice on that is on this site.

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

if you want to boost your wifi signal you need a high gain antenna. You netgear comes with a 2dbi antenna, you can easily up that to around 5 - 9 dbi

Hawking Hi-Gain Antenna (HAI6SIP)

the above link is for a 6 dbi antenna (just watch out for the connectors, the netgear sky give you is a TNC, i think :-S)

If you are feeling adventurous you can make your own (illegal) high gain antennas, whack the power up to 20dbi (google for pringle cantenna) :-)

jeppos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Re: wireless problems

Thanks for the suggestions guys,

I have an old pci card from my bt setup and for what they cost I think a better aerial might be good also, unfortunatly the master socket is at the back of the house upstairsso fitting windows would be a problem for the wife.

Think I might have a go at the homemade one for the crack and ill let you all know if its any good.

meanwhile stuck with low signal strength and 11mbps.

thanks mark

LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at 5 per month
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Much better results, and more readily available components, for a parabolic antenna, see here http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/
      Service recovery 02392 899292

You got 3 right!
      D'oh! Not good, dude.