Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

I'm a new wireless user - help required before I go mad please!!!

This is a discussion on I'm a new wireless user - help required before I go mad please!!! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I recently decided to go with Sky for my Broadband as I thought the deal was good and a free ...

greyprawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm a new wireless user - help required before I go mad please!!!

I recently decided to go with Sky for my Broadband as I thought the deal was good and a free wireless modem/router!!! I've gone for the mid option.
      My pc did not have a wireless capability so I purchased from PC World at their advice, a Belkin Wireless G Desktop Card - F5D7000.

I was advised that this is what I needed to enable me to use my pc in the spare room upstairs with the router/modem plugged in downstairs and no leads trailing around the house. I keep thinking that I need another pc to set up a wireless network - am I

The process I have gone through so far is:-
      I waited for my Sky Broadband to go live.
      Then installed the Belkin software disk and then after booting off installed the wireless card and then re-booted.
      I think I then set up a wireless network and waited for the next step to happen.

A small computer icon appeared at the bottom of the screen and starting showing green emitting signs and states that there is a wireless network connection (sky details in brackets), Speed 54mbs Signal strength:excellent, Status:connected. It's connected by ethernet cable at the moment but when I disconnect cable no access to internet.

Also at the bottom of the screen there is a little stumpy aerial type icon and when the cursor hovers over that it says Wireless Network Connection Status: not connected.

Also when I click on the Belkin icon on the desktop of my pc - the Belkin Wireless Networking Utility 2.1 screen, no connections are available.

I was told by a teccie at PC World that the Belkin card would allow me to do what I wanted - i.e. have one wireless pc in the house with wireless internet access.

When I spoke to Sky they said otherwise and said I needed to purchase a wireless card from them. Needless to say I laughed at them as I thought it was a wind-up on their part.

Then contacted Belkin - they said that the card would work and do what I wanted. They gave me some instructions about the IP settings, etc., but I just got more confused and ended up having roll back the computer to a few days before as everything stopped working on the internet side!!

Then went to PC World and they advised me again that the Belkin card would work but I needed to do some configuration by accessing the address at 192.168.0.1 and setting things in there.

I've got to this point but don't understand what I need to do now to get the internet on the wireless instead of wired. The Belkin Networking Utility does not seem to recognise that the Modem/Router and network have a strong signal or how to connect to it.

Can someone please help me step by step as to what I need to do as I'm being a complete dummy with this. I have looked at the instructions on this site AND printed them off but it hasn't helped!!

Do I need to delete everything regarding the Sky Broadband software/hardware and the wireless card and start again?

Please help a tired confused middle aged numbskull on his 47th birthday to solve this problem before I don't make my 48th!!!

Many thanks in advance.

My pc has XP, etc. etc.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: I'm a new wireless user - help required before I go mad please!!!

I've pasted in a standard reply about wireless probs -- maybe this will help.

It's best to experiment with wireless using a computer in the same room as the router to eliminate issues of range. Turn off cordless or mobile phone, video sender or similar devices.

If possible, make a wired connection to the router. Use the yellow cable in the Sky carton to connect the network jack socket (if any)* on your computer with one of the sockets on the router. Start Internet Explorer and see if you can reach the internet without wireless.

If you have no network socket it is possible to do the following with only a wireless connection but, naturally, that has to be working already.

Assuming you are connected; at the address bar of Internet Explorer type 192.168.0.1 which is the address of the router. You should see a sign-in box and enter the word admin and the password sky. You should then be in Netgear settings and be able to make adjustments.

Turn off security (WEP and WPA) and log out. Disconnect the cable.

If the wireless adapter is the correct type (80211B or 11G) and its software correctly installed, the wireless adapter's site survey interface should show a signal from the Sky router. See if you can now connect to it . Restart Internet Explorer and see if you can reach the internet.

Other things you may have to change:

Sky sometimes recommend that you let XP manage the connection. If so, some parts of the adapter software may not function (or may not be visible). Personally I find most adapter software less confusing and would recommend you to use that.

Disable the router's uPnP setting.

Alter the router's wireless frequency (e.g.if you are on channel 1 and a neighbour is on channel 3, move to Channel 8 or higher).

Later restore WEP or WPA settings in the router and check that your user passphrase is correctly set in the wireless adapter's utilities (the default passphrase is usually printed on the back of the router)

* If you have no network socket on your computer you really should get an Ethernet Network Interface Card (they're very cheap) a laptop may need a PCMCIA or USB version (not so cheap).

Connecting by cable is more reliable and quicker. When I downloaded an 800 megaByte file -- wireless 34 mins, ethernet cable 10 mins.

greyprawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: I'm a new wireless user - help required before I go mad please!!!

Thanks for that. It seems very close to what I've tried already but I'll give it a go and let you know. Many thanks.