Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Sky Broadband MID - Help please

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband MID - Help please within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there, I'm new to this forum so go easy please :-) I'm not new to computers and have had ...

AndyOT2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:

Sky Broadband MID - Help please

Hi there, I'm new to this forum so go easy please :-)

I'm not new to computers and have had Demon internet for a few years, working wirelessly with a BT Voyager router. No problems with the service other than their crappy customer service and high cost (25 per month) for 8Mb. I could never get 8Mb due to the distance from the exchange, only managed to connect at around 3.2.. but it was pretty stable and I never had any real problems.

Decided to change to Sky MID package and activation day was yesterday (26/02). Installed the Sky Netgear router as instructed, all the lights came on as stated and managed to get on the internet within minutes. Connection speed says it is around 5.5Mb which isn't bad. Don't know if it will still be there after the 10 day speed testing period but we'll see.

Having a couple of wierd problems though that I can't figure out.

1. The router is placed in exactly the same place as the previous one, high up on the kitchen cupboards. My connection speed to the router constantly changes speed, going from 54Mbps all the way down to 1Mbps!! It stays connected but what's going on?! I've read that it may be to do with the Microsoft wireless zero configuration causing it but I can't disable it because it causes problem 2

2. I play online action games like Battlefield 2142 so need a good wireless connection. With my previous router, I had a VBscript that switched the wireless zero configuration off 30seconds after the PC had started up. This is because every 60 seconds, this 'service' will go out and look for other wireless networks that may be available. This search causes a momentary lag in the game that I'm playing and is very irritating. However, with the Wireless zero turned off.... no problems at all. Problem is that this router/service seems to need this service switched on. If I turn it off.. what happens is that the PC constantly drops it's wireless connection and then tries to reconnect.. literally every couple of seconds. The little icons in the corner are almost flickering. If I then go to Admin/services and switch the wireless zero tool back on.. then it stops cycling and connects.

So there are my problems. I've hunted a lot through these forums and the net and can't find anything that helps so far. One thread said to use the manufacturer's own wireless zero tool but my PC has built in wireless (Fujitsu scaleo T) and I can't find a tool for the life of me!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box

Re: Sky Broadband MID - Help please

Welcome to the forum

Can't comment on your connection speed as you haven't given your connection stats. However, just to correct one thing, there is no 10 day training period with Sky Mid.

With regard to your wireless problem, a fluctuating signal may well be due to a channel conflict. Before trying to solve an unknown "zero configuration" problem, it may well be worth experimenting with different channel numbers and probably, different router positions and/or aerial orientations.