Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

acquiring network address

This is a discussion on acquiring network address within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hehe i done it also dont worry...

evilbond is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: acquiring network address

hehe i done it also dont worry

2. Advertisement
      holty20 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You are absolutely right. I had been trying everything to get the wireless connection to work and I was connecting but could not get an IP address assigned. If I used a fixed IP I could connect but it kept dropping the connection. I had read two capital I's as 1 (ones) so I had also put the network key in incorrectly.

Thanks you saved the router from going out of the window.

mdstone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Take my advice, disable DHCP, it's too unreliable on wireless networks and set manual IPs up on the router, then enter one of these into your PC's network settings, Job done! This will stop the device acquiring a network address as it already knows it's IP and should be a lot faster connecting.

JenSoHappy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I can't BELIEVE this is the fault but it's true. If anyone is reading this looking for solutions to "acquiring network address" and it's all connected otherwise then, like me, you won't believe it but the likely fault really is that you typed in the network key without the caps lock on. I followed the instructions below to re-enter the key and it worked! I was really going mad. I can't believe it accepted the wrong key without an error message but it did and now - re-entered in CAPS - it realy does work. Save yourself a headache and just try it. Thanks so much to previous users who posted this advice.

Control panel>Network connections>Right click on wireless network>select view availabilty wireless network> click on change advanced setting> click on middle tab "wireless network tab"> removed everything listed under preferred networks> click ok> RESET THE ROUTER> BACK INTO..........
      Control panel>Network connections>Right click on wireless network>select view availabilty wireless network> REFRESH THE NETWORK LIST> select your network> enter network key>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123