Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Major woes - wireless connection with router

This is a discussion on Major woes - wireless connection with router within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I'm not too experienced with networking, my two PCs are connected via a LAN cable. I've been asked to help ...

Fogg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Major woes - wireless connection with router

I'm not too experienced with networking, my two PCs are connected via a LAN cable. I've been asked to help get a friend's Sky connection working. So far I've wasted hours on it, but this forum looks like it could be a godsend.

The router appears to be working properly. The Netgear WG111T seems to be working correctly too. For some reason the Netgear software was finding the router, recognising channel 1 was the strongest channel, but kept cycling thru all the channels, never locking on. I ditched that and used Windows XP software instead.

Anyway, the remote PC says "connected to the internet" in the notification area, bottom right. We're also told that we're conencted to the router. However when you open IE you just get a page not found error. It's like the PC is looking for the internet from somewhere other than the wireless connection.

It's been massively frustrating. I can access the router by http://

Any pointers, please?

TIA

Andy

2. Advertisement
      stripe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: worcs
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Major woes - wireless connection with router

did you enter the WAP key at any stage? or have you disabled it? have you changed channel on the router and rescanned? taken out any old internet connections...just in case??

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'd stick with the Netgear WG111 utility because it's more intuitive.

While troubleshooting turn off security. Connect to the router via the LAN cable. From your browser go 192.168.0.1, sign in as: admin
      password: sky . Under Wireless settings disable WPA and WEP.

Also permaanently disable UPNP which seems to cause intermittent loss of signal.

If you've noticed neighbours on channels close to yours, switch to one further away. Download 'Network Stumbler' which is very good at finding wireless access points and will display noise levels that may be causing probs.

These steps should make connection much simpler. Later, restore WEP or WPA.

Fogg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok, an odd one. He was advised by someone to remove IE7, and he did that earlier.

The wireless network seems to be working now. I'd figured the problem was down to the browser looking for its content form somewhere other than the network adaptor, but I'd never have suggested removing IE7 in a million years.

Still, it's sorted now. It's a brand new DEll he's got, I'd not expect the registry to be too corrupted. IE6 seems a bit flaky, so I installed Firefox. Still not entirely sure it's fixed 100%, but at least he's online at the mo.

Thanks for the advice above, much appreciated.

fatb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haverton Hill, Middlesbrough
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am having the same problem using a netgear wg111v2 (USB 2 plugged into USB 1 port).
      The problem isnt IE7 as its not on the PC that i am having this problem with. Also IE7 has nothing to do with DHCP. my netgear utility shows connected but this machine is not getting a an IP address from DHCP.
      I have tried no security, WEP 64bit, WEP 128bit, WPA-TKIP 128bit and none of them work.
      I have about 70-80% signal strength so not that.
      Netgear KB's suggest setting the radio band to (g) rather than both (b) and (g). Tried that to no avail.

My own PC is also using a netgear card but this one is PCI and works perfectly. I suspect it is a problem between USB v.1 and USB v.2
      Borrowed a colleague's usb wireless adapter (edimax) and will try it tonight.

Hopefully it will work and then i am off to splash the cash on more network equipment. Joy....