Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless connection, connected but not online ???

This is a discussion on Wireless connection, connected but not online ??? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; A friend of mine has just gone over to SkyBB, he's planning to use the router downstairs plugged into his ...

Stevieboy118 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Exclamation Wireless connection, connected but not online ???

A friend of mine has just gone over to SkyBB, he's planning to use the router downstairs plugged into his XBOX360 and then wirelessly to the PC upstairs.

xbox360 is fine, they setup their live! account without any problems, but the pc upstairs just doesn't want to play.

I've wiped the machine and done a fresh installation, xp sp2, all the security patches, mediaplayer 11 & IE7. All done at my home over my wireless connection. PC has a "Belkin Wireless G" network card fitted and ran fine at my home for hours on end (LOTS of updates on a fresh install!)
      But on Sky router, it connects, i enter the WPA key, it tells me i've got an "Excellent" signal strength, IP addy is 192.168.0.3 (guessing xbox has 0.2), but it won't go online. I try to update the antivirus and it tells me it can't resolve the name to an IP addy.

I've tried it without the xbox connected (gives a 0.2 IP), tried renewing the ipconfig stuff, still nowt is working.

I'm going back to try again tomorrow, but i'm out of ideas as to what else i can try.

Help!

cheers
      Steve

2. Advertisement
      LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at 5 per month
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless connection, connected but not online ???

Run task manager and look for a process called WinXPDisableZeroConfigation.exe using high CPU.

It is unecessary, and can be disabled with MSCONFIG, or by deleting the run key from the registry.
      Service recovery 02392 899292

You got 3 right!
      D'oh! Not good, dude.

Stevieboy118 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless connection, connected but not online ???

Ahh, new one on me.

Was just damn confusing that it was online on a different router quite ahppily, but trying the sky router caused it to stall. Odd.