Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Cannot connect to router either with CAT5 or wirelessly

This is a discussion on Cannot connect to router either with CAT5 or wirelessly within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I can still connect to other routers in the area which are daft enough not to be secured, but my ...

Nutter412 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cannot connect to router either with CAT5 or wirelessly

I can still connect to other routers in the area which are daft enough not to be secured, but my own router downstairs in the master socket, I cannot connect to. Last night, I could not even detect it directly using the IP address. The laptop and the router blantantly refused to talk to each other. I'm not a network expert, so does anyone have any suggestions please to help me sort this out? Thanks

2. Advertisement
      stevelaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norton (01642)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Cannot connect to router either with CAT5 or wirelessly

Hook it up with the ethernet cable, then go to start, run, type cmd and click OK.

In the command window type:
      ipconfig /release [press return]
      ipconfig /renew [press return]

What numbers do you get?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Steve, I've tried what you suggested and there are in fact no IP addresses once I look at this.

On further investigation, it turns out I have an Error Code 300 (Sky Translation, 'We don't give a S***') so I'm waiting for a T3 return call now.

However, forgiving my sarcasm, if you have any advice, or anyone else out there, i would appreciate it or the Netgear and my Skydish are going south...

Thank you

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

What do you mean by "no IP addresses"?

Does you PC pick up an IP from the router (192.168.0.2 or thereabouts)?

Does you router pick up an IP from Sky (log into the router and look under the ADSL section).

If you don't get the first there's a problem with communication between the router and computer, try using the ethernet cable (if this works you have a problem with your wireless setup).

If you don't get the latter (external IP) there's a problem with your "line".

(Or in either case it could be a problem with the router, but once we know more details we can try various things to try and find the specifc problem and possibly fix it.)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi there

Did you know I'm using a free AOL dial up 30 dayer to get online to post these!?

Anyway, IP addresses. IP config on its own returns 192.168.0.2/1 and a subnet mask 0f 255.255.255.0

IP config release returns 0.0.0.0 for all three items.

IP config renew returns 192.168.0.2/1 and 255.255.255.0

I want the IP config/release numbers really

In the router, which I can connect to via my browser, there are no IP addies in the ADSL section, which would seem to imply they have fallen off the face of the planet somehow. I would also assume I need these numbers filling in, but at the moment, nothing is happening (Incidentally, due to an order screw up, I have two netgear routers and both of them have exactly the same results - I only connected the 'newer' one of the two yesterday, until then it had not been used, therefore, it would not have been open to 'hijack')

Thanks peeps

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter412 View Post
      In the router, which I can connect to via my browser, there are no IP addies in the ADSL section, which would seem to imply they have fallen off the face of the planet somehow. I would also assume I need these numbers filling in, but at the moment, nothing is happening (Incidentally, due to an order screw up, I have two netgear routers and both of them have exactly the same results - I only connected the 'newer' one of the two yesterday, until then it had not been used, therefore, it would not have been open to 'hijack')
      That's definately the problem then. The router is not connecting to the Sky server. It could be subject to a line "hijack" - where another ISP has tagged your line inadvertently (or your old one has not been "released" - or Sky has failed to tag it correctly).

It could also be some other problem on the line/exchange or with the router.

You will probably need to check with Sky first - you'll probably need Tier 3 (I did for the same problem) who will contact the "Tag on the Line" team.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Steve

Thanks for your help so far, here's some news that is interesting. It may help other people too.

I am not hijacked (Call BT Wholesale 0800 169 0934) and they will say something like EasyNet (Sky) is the only ISP on my line.

I just called Tier 2 in Belfast (0800 051 2595 #1, wait for operator) and guess what they said? My tier 3 ticket that I was given on Saturday was nowhere to be found. Could this be the reason why so many people on here wait for T3 calls, simply cos Manilla aren't doing their job right?

It's worth all of you out there following up your tickets within a day or so to make sure it's even there, cos if T3 don't see you have one, of course they won't phone back.

Personally, I'm going to ring T2 tonight and hit them with my ticket no and try to resolve where my router's ADSL IP addresses have gone.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Silly question but are you sure all the cables and filters are set up correctly?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ello

Of course they are lol! There is no difference between how my old Toucan wireless was set up and the new Sky.

I am using the master socket tonight and I have achieved success, with IP addies and 2mb downstream. However, this is not the same as before, when I had nothing from the master socket.

Needless to say, I have phone, sky tv and broadband. I'm gonna leave the router downstairs and hook up some CAT5 to the desktop upstairs.

I still have no idea where my ticket number is though!!

Thanks for yer help