Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Router positioning?

This is a discussion on Router positioning? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi. After a few initial problems I now have constant connection to the internet on my pc. However my download ...

techphobe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router positioning?

Hi. After a few initial problems I now have constant connection to the internet on my pc. However my download speed is very poor 700 kb/s. On a wireless laptop it is always 2.9 mb/s. When I use the adaptors extension lead and stand with it over my head I can get 2.9 mb/s on my pc.

Should the positioning of the adaptor or router be so critical? The router is downstairs and the pc is in a room directly upstairs from it. I get 2.9 mb/s wherever my laptop is, so why is the pc adaptor so sensitive?

It might seem to be an easy solution to fix the adaptor to an ok position, but the ok position is weirdly 7feet high in the centre of the room.

I have the sky usb adaptor.

I have downloaded the optimiser thingie mentioned in other threads. I'm in work now and can't remember name of it, but it didn't solve problem.
      Any advice would be appreciated thankyou.

2. Advertisement
      stevelaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norton (01642)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Router positioning?

Hiya.

Have a look at this thread, it seems to be a similar problem, or some cross-over advice that may be useful for you anyway.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...-new-post.html

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Steve,

In that thread you said to try a wireless laptop in various areas and feedback results to you. I have done this and I get a constant 2.9mb/s, even next to the pc.

Could the issue be that I am on another floor and the sky adaptor is more sensitive than the one in my laptop? I don't want to change adaptors because I kept losing connection with my previous one.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Not so much sensitive, but it might have the wrong settings or mode (I don't know Sky's USB adapter, but I would like to assume that it is compatible with their own router....).

You could try a different USB port for a quick test.

See if you can look at the properties/settings of the laptop wireless and the PC wireless for any glaring differences (I need to check my laptop for what to look for, but see how you get on )

You could also try switching off the laptop's own wireless and plugging the USB one (that you have on the PC) into the laptop for another test.

You say you have another adapter, what speeds do you get with that? (Ignoring the disconnections for now )

Directly above the router is one of the weakest areas of signal - the signal comes out of the aerial in a kind of donught shape - but if the laptop gets a good signal/connection in the same spot then that's probably not an issue. (You saw this by lifting the router nearer the ceiling, moving the "dead" area.)

Edit: Sorry, my mistake, you lifted the adapter not the router. This could indicate some interference, but again, because the laptop worked okay in the same spot, makes it an odd one. It might in fact be the adapter is more "sensitive" to interference after all...
      Last edited by stevelaw; 15-02-07 at 11:23 AM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for replies.

I no longer have the lap top. It was borrowed, i never thought to try sky adaptor in it.

Something else I have noticed is that when I hover over the wireless connection icon at the bottom of the screen it says speed: 108.0 mps. I gather from the other threads that this is not the actual speed but speed it is capable of? I think I read that the maximum is 54 mps. Could it be that some setting or other is making it try to over perform? This is a long shot I know. And i apologise if it is nonesense but thought I would mention it, just in case.

Cheers.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by techphobe View Post
      Something else I have noticed is that when I hover over the wireless connection icon at the bottom of the screen it says speed: 108.0 mps. I gather from the other threads that this is not the actual speed but speed it is capable of? I think I read that the maximum is 54 mps.
      That speed is (essentially) the speed of the connection between the router and the PC/laptop - the speed of the wireless connection in effect. It has nothing (directly) to do with the speed of the Internet connection. You could have an excellent wireless connection even if you unplugged the router from the phone socket but you wouldn't have any Internet at all.

I'm trying to think of an analogy and I'm struggling (I have a headache).

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

your right it's the maximum speed the pc's will talk to each other but ur internet max speed on sky will be 16 meg but usually lower and thtas what you'll get through the ethernet or wireless [which is a bit ropey on the sky routre]

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

btw techphobe, no your connection isn't trying to overperform. The maximum wireless speed was 54Mb until relatively recently but is now 108Mb (depending on equipment). Not long before that it was 11Mb. It makes little difference to Internet speeds over wireless (as dtr42 says the absolute maximum Internet speed possible with Sky is around 16Mb) but it makes a hell of a difference for network traffic (logging on/off, sharing resources etc) and is theoretically better than cat5e cables (with only one laptop using the signal of course because wireless is a shared bandwidth whereas cat5e is not))
      Last edited by stevelaw; 15-02-07 at 11:43 PM.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Actually, the speed your wireless device reports is the signal rate. Not wishing to go into heavy detail on this (Google if you're interested) this is not, sadly, the same as the transmission rate.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I was trying to keep things simple... (Bear in mind I do IT Support in schools. the Heads/teachers always want to know what was wrong and how you fixed it but they generally have no idea what you are talking about. I tend to talk in simple, if inaccurate, terms that they think they can understand )
      Last edited by stevelaw; 16-02-07 at 01:11 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast