Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Wireless Network

This is a discussion on Sky Wireless Network within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, Forgive me if this sound a silly question. Last month I joined SKY BB , got the router. From ...

Purwa is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Wireless Network

Hi,

Forgive me if this sound a silly question. Last month I joined SKY BB, got the router. From my laptop (with Wifi) I can connect to th einternet and similarly from my PC I can connect to the internet using Belking wireless adapter, So no problem in terms of using the router to connect to internet simultaneously.

My question is how to set up the wireless network of computers so that the laptop and the PC can wirelessly see each other (share files ) and share printers? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      sassylady is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWKLAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Wireless Network

I did mine via my network places set up a home network but I did have to make all network users admin users rights on the main PC.
      Rosie
      12591 kb/s Download 579 kb/s upload

Purwa is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Wireless Network

Dear All,

After many nights of pulling hair I have finally managed to set the wireless home network. As I said earlier, both my PC and the laptop could use the router to use the internet but could not share files/printer with each other. The trick is to allow firewalls in both (or as many computers you have) computers to allow each other to see. You do this by adding IP address of the machines in the Allowed IP addresses (or similar) option. You can find the IP address of a machine from the command prompt by typing IPCONFIG. There are other ways of doing this but I have mentioned the simpler one here.

Another thing worth noting is that all the computers should have the same Workgroup name (e.g. Windows XP suggestes MSHOME as default workgroup name).

Once all the computers are in the same workgroup annd their IP addresses are in the allowed sites list of the firewalls, the home network should be up and running.

I hope this helps.

Purwa