Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless problems.....

This is a discussion on Wireless problems..... within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, A little background info…. In the last few years I’ve moved away from Ntl TV, phone and broadband. ...

ShaunN is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEEHN
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless problems.....

Hi all,

A little background info…. In the last few years I’ve moved away from Ntl TV, phone and broadband. Now have Sky+, BT Phone and Sky BB Mid.

I used a similar wireless Netgear router with my laptop with Ntl and never had any issues (apart from the cost). So recently switched to Sky mid – things went OK with the order and BT activated the line on time – been ‘active’ for about 14 days now.

Problem is with constant drop-out and freezes with wireless BBand – every few minutes or so…. happens day and night. I live only 2.9 miles from the exchange, BT tell me capable of up to 5Mb. I’m plugged into the master BT socket (thanks to the info on these pages), with no extensions, however, when I took the face plate off and plugged in to the main socket I was getting 5.5Mbs – replaced the face plate and it dropped to 1.1Mbs – had that looked at by BT and fixed (wiring) so now get same 5.5/5.4 Mbs when connected.

Laptop shows connectivity OK, 5.5Mbs, and wireless strength as excellent – But cannot load webpages??? have to keep powering off the router -Starting to wish I stayed with Ntl… shudder!

Any ideas?

I’ve read that there are issues with some of these Netgear routers – could that be the cause of the problems? Should I contact Sky for a replacement??

2. Advertisement
      sassylady is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWKLAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless problems.....

Try some light reading courtesy of Saturday
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/speed...explained.html
      Rosie
      12591 kb/s Download 579 kb/s upload

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Wireless problems.....

Cheers SassyLady - that looks interesting, but will need to try tonight as I'm at work at the moment - boss thinks all this typing is me doing proper work....

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless problems.....

I finally followed advice to turn off upnp -- and my wireless system no longer spends the first five minutes losing and regaining the signal repeatedly.

But the Sky/Netgear's wireless capability remains problematic. Plugging directly in to the router, the estimated download time for a 700megabyte file was 10 minutes (7000megabits/600 seconds = 11.6mbs ??).

When linked by a Netgear WG111 v2 wireless adapter (similar to the USB unit sold by Sky) and within inches of the router, the estimate rose to 90 minutes !!

Normally my computer is 40 to 50 ft from the router and evidently operating at the margins of reception, but the Sky unit seems less effective than other wireless routers. I've 'borrowed' a connection from various neighbours' wireless systems more reliably than via our Sky account.

Curiously, the Sky Router seems to connect best to an obsolete 11B wireless PCI adapter -- performing the same 700megabyte download in 34 minutes.

It may not be necessary to dump the Sky router but compare its performance using a variety of wireless adapters -- a desktop computer can use PCI (cheaper than USB and perhaps better). Save more with an old 11B model (max speed 11mbs) -- though you must switch from WPA to WEP.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Re: Wireless problems.....

Anyone make sense of these stats?

Before TCP optimiser:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4640 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 56.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.6 db 14.0 db

After TCP Optimiser:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4608 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 56.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.8 db 14.0 db

bbmax speed test
      Download Speed: 3964 kbps (495.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
      Upload Speed: 256 kbps (32 KB/sec transfer rate)